cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Rebooting Phones

bspear123
Level 1
Level 1

I have a location with two Cisco routers on two seperate WAN links going into the same provider.  When I lose one of the WAN links, users report that their Cisco IP phones reboot.  The Call Manager is accessed across the WAN to another location, but traffic should be load balanced across our two WAN links so that when we lose one, everything should be routed across the other.  Why are the users phones rebooting when I lose BGP or the one circuit goes down ?

5 Replies 5

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Have you personally tested the reconverge times ?

How long does it take for an IP phone to timeout or how often does it poll the Call Manager server?  After a timeout, will the phone re-register across the WAN link that is still up?  I am running EIGRP in the LAN, but I have not tested reconvergence time.  Thanks.

Like 3x 10 secs (not sure now), but before rebooting, should try re-registering for much longer.

what exactly do you see?

Phone starting the boot process again? or just flashing ?

an sniffer capture can tell us what exactly phone is doing I suspect TCP socket maybe timing out just a shot in the dark

I have not seen what actually happens, I only received reports from users that their phones were rebooting.  After that , I logged into one of my routers at that location and noticed BGP was down.  BGP on my other router onsite was still up tho.  I would expect the phones to communicate with the same Call Manager server across the working link, without having to reboot tho.  Am I correct ?