cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Sub-interface Removal

cisco.net
Level 1
Level 1

We have created a Gigabitethernet sub-interface on a router, But when removing this with command :-

Router(config)#no int gig2/3.1

It is not removed and still showing in interface list with "deleted" status (i.e  Gi2/3.1    deleted   down).

Please share the process for permanently removing the sub-interface from list.

Thxns

7 Replies 7

Ganesh Hariharan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

We have created a Gigabitethernet sub-interface on a router, But when removing this with command :-

Router(config)#no int gig2/3.1

It is not removed and still showing in interface list with "deleted" status (i.e  Gi2/3.1    deleted   down).

Please share the process for permanently removing the sub-interface from list.

Thxns

Hi,

Can you reload your router????  because i heard somewhere that until the router reload show ip interface brief command will show the subinterface as deleted only.

Once specific type of subinterface is created, it cannot be changed without a reload.When a subinterface is configured, an interface descriptor block (IDB) is defined by the Cisco IOS. IDBs defined for subinterfaces cannot be changed without a reload.

So if possible have a try by reloading the router amd then check !!

Hope to help !!

If helpful do rate the post

Ganesh.H

One more querry,,?

How many Sub-interfaces are possible on a Gig/Serial/Fast Ethernet ..?

Txns

It's limited by the IDB, rather than the kind of physical interfaces:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/iosswrel/ps1835/products_tech_note09186a0080094322.shtml

Txns..

Srry but last querry now.

I have created a sub-interface Gig2/3.1 with configs.

Router#sh run int Gig2/3.1
Building configuration...

Current configuration : 186 bytes
!
interface GigabitEthernet2/3.1
description CONNECTED TO NetCore
encapsulation dot1Q 99
ip address 172.50.140.1 255.255.255.252
end

But with this configs,  The remote end IP of this interface (172.50.140.2) was reachable but there are drops(approx 30 drops) on the same after every 40-50 replies. one of my freind suggested me for configuring below commands under sub-interface(but he seems to be confused about the purpose of this commands).

ip rip send version 1 2
ip rip receive version 1 2

After executing abne cmmds , now there is no drops. What these commds are doing wht is the purpose of the command, after executing these why ping / reachability drops problems rectified. is this standard to configure this commands under sub-interface...? pls

Txns..

Srry but last querry now.

I have created a sub-interface Gig2/3.1 with configs.

Router#sh run int Gig2/3.1
Building configuration...

Current configuration : 186 bytes
!
interface GigabitEthernet2/3.1
description CONNECTED TO NetCore
encapsulation dot1Q 99
ip address 172.50.140.1 255.255.255.252
end

But with this configs,  The remote end IP of this interface (172.50.140.2) was reachable but there are drops(approx 30 drops) on the same after every 40-50 replies. one of my freind suggested me for configuring below commands under sub-interface(but he seems to be confused about the purpose of this commands).

ip rip send version 1 2
ip rip receive version 1 2

After executing abne cmmds , now there is no drops. What these commds are doing wht is the purpose of the command, after executing these why ping / reachability drops problems rectified. is this standard to configure this commands under sub-interface...? pls

Hi,

Those commands are useful to send and recieve RIP version to be sent or recive in interface with counter part neighbour.

To control which RIP version an interface sends, use one of the following commands in interface configuration mode:

ip rip send version 1 2  Configure an interface to send RIP Version 1 and Version 2 packets.

Similarly, to control how packets received from an interface are processed, use one of the following commands in interface configuration mode:

ip rip receive version 1 2 Configure an interface to accept either RIP Version 1 or 2 packets.

Hope to Help !!

If helpful do rate the useful post

Ganesh.H

Txns Ganesh,

But i think i again need to clear my querry. Here i already know the send and receive part of RIP version 1 & 2. But my querry was why drops are stopped after configuring this.Even i am not running RIP protocol on both the end (not at our end or  at remote end).

Is this like by default sub-interface are working  or can say sending & reciving updates by RIP....is it like that. so that after executing this commands drops to remote/next IP were stopped...?

Txns Ganesh,

But i think i again need to clear my querry. Here i already know the send and receive part of RIP version 1 & 2. But my querry was why drops are stopped after configuring this.Even i am not running RIP protocol on both the end (not at our end or  at remote end).

Is this like by default sub-interface are working  or can say sending & reciving updates by RIP....is it like that. so that after executing this commands drops to remote/next IP were stopped...?

It's not possible and no use for the command unless ur running rip between the two sites, if you are not running rip between the two end point then the above command will not do anything and there is no specific requiremnt that following command needs to be configured under sub interfaces.

Before giving any comment on the above query need to be very clear about your setup and configuration.

But also share your findings about your sub-interface removal problem from router.

Ganesh.H

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: