Views
Helpful
Replies

Archive

amarmn1975
Level 1
Level 1

Hii,

Can anybody tell me how to use the archive command in to save routers and switch configuration in tftp server in a cretin time (daily or weekly  ...)

5 Replies 5

Ganesh Hariharan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hii,

Can anybody tell me how to use the archive command in to save routers and switch configuration in tftp server in a cretin time (daily or weekly  ...)

Hi,

Check out the link below for kron policy configuration for scehdular backup on cisco devices hope that help

http://www.configureterminal.com/free/kron.html

If helpful do rate the post

Ganesh.H

amarmn1975

for weekly backup, your config should be:

ip tftp source-interface "fill_in_interface"

The archiving commands are:

archive
log config
  logging enable
  logging size 200
(<= This is the number of "comands issued by user X" that is saved in memory (if you use AAA, you can trace who changed what))
path tftp://IP_address/filename.txt
write-memory
(<= The config is saved to the tftp server if you perform a "write memory" or a "copy run start")
time-period 10800
(<= 10800 saves your config weekly, this is good enough if your network doesn't change daily).

but I prefer to use FTP as you can protect it with a username/password, if you use FTP it will look like:

ip ftp source-interface "fill_in_interface"

ip ftp username "username"

ip ftp password "password"

service password-encryption

archive
  log config
   logging enable
   logging size 200
(<= This is the number of "last comands issued by user X" is saved in memory (if you use AAA, you can trace who changed what))
  path ftp://IP_address/filename.txt
  write-memory
(<= The config is saved to the tftp server if you use a "write memory" or a "copy run start")
  time-period 10800
(<= 10800 saves your config weekly, this is good enough if your network doesn't change daily).

HTH

milan.kulik
Level 10
Level 10

Hi,

you could use the archive ... time-period command, see http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_3t/fun/command/reference/cfrgt_12.html#wp1058010

But IMHO, it's more useful to use archive ...write-memory
command to save your config into the archive every time you save the running- config into the startup-config.

HTH,

Milan

Milan

as you can see: I prefer to use time-priod & write-memory both in my config.

In case your collegue "forgets" to save the config, it is at least saved weekly :-)

Grt

S

Hi,

yes, I understand.

But then you've got many config copies with no change in fact.

Each solution has pros and cons :-)

BR,

Milan

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco