Views
Helpful
Replies

Using 3rd party SIP phones with UC500

m.junghage
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

A customer who has a complete setup of Snom SIP phones and some sort of hosted telephony service now want's to switch to an UC500 solution. Is there a way to reuse the current Snom phones with a UC500? If it's possible what sorts of drawback would there be instead of using Cisco phones?

Thanks!

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Steven Smith
Level 7
Level 7

This is possible to do.  You can look on cisco.com and find guides that use SIP phones.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps4625/products_configuration_example09186a00808f33eb.shtml

The big problem is support.  When using 3rd Party SIP phones, support will be difficult to find.

View solution in original post

Steven DiStefano
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Its not going to be supported and interoperability with Cisco SCCP phones is not going to be predictable.  I dont recommend it.  I would guess you would be upside down on costs after the first week of trying to deploy it.  rather just buy the low cost Cisco SPA500 phones which operate in a tokenized SCCP protocol on UC500 called SPCP.  There is also some investment protection here, since if they want to go the hosted SP route, these phones also operate SIP.

Steve

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Steven Smith
Level 7
Level 7

This is possible to do.  You can look on cisco.com and find guides that use SIP phones.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps4625/products_configuration_example09186a00808f33eb.shtml

The big problem is support.  When using 3rd Party SIP phones, support will be difficult to find.

Steven DiStefano
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Its not going to be supported and interoperability with Cisco SCCP phones is not going to be predictable.  I dont recommend it.  I would guess you would be upside down on costs after the first week of trying to deploy it.  rather just buy the low cost Cisco SPA500 phones which operate in a tokenized SCCP protocol on UC500 called SPCP.  There is also some investment protection here, since if they want to go the hosted SP route, these phones also operate SIP.

Steve

Steve: Thank you for your response, I realize the issues that may occur when using non supported vendors. If it was just deskphones that would need replacement it would'nt be that big of a deal, but the half of the phones are IP-Dect phones with plenty of repeaters placed all over. Replacing them with Cisco's equivalent would be costly. What kind of functions would one miss if using 3rd party phones?

Steven: Thanks for the docs, looks interesting.

Having never connected them, I couldnt tell you.  Sorry.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: