Views
Helpful
Replies

VRRP "failure" meaning.

clabsaclabsa
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all.

I've read several docs regarding VRRP, and I've some key concepts. By the way, i don't know what is what the protocol understands by a "router failure".

I mean, I know that when the master router fails, the backup router will take its place. But I want to know when it fails. ¿when it burns down? ¿when it is unplugged? ¿when it loses the connectivity?

I am interested in customizing what means to me a "router failure". Maybe it has to do with object tracking, but the only thing I've read about it is that I can decrement the priority. I want to define under which conditions another router will take the master role.

Thanks in advance!!!

8 Replies 8

Babuu_mpole
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Clab

router failure means the router does not exist in the working(live ) topology, does not partcipate in any thing can be stolen, interface failure (hardware) etc.

but at the end the router is not partcipate in live topology (network)

regards

Hashil

Babuu_mpole
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Clab

router failure means the router does not exist in the working(live ) topology, does not partcipate in any thing can be stolen, interface failure (hardware) etc.

but at the end the router is not partcipate in live topology (network)

regards

Hashil

Babuu_mpole
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Clabsaclabsa

route failure means router is not partcipate in live topology(network) can be dead, interface failure, that is where backup take effect

regards

Hashil

Babuu_mpole
Level 1
Level 1

Sorry for lot of reply, i got network problem it give me an error that the msg in not sent, real sorry

But let's assume the following:

1. I have two interfaces in a Router: LAN & WAN.

2. WAN goes off.

3. The router still replies to ping (through its LAN interface)

In this case, the router is not in "fail", but in practice it doesn't work. So I would like VRRP to switch to the backup router.

¿is this possible?

Thanks!

Hello Clabsaclabsa

If the WAN connection is shared betwwen routers (redundacy) u can specify if the interface connected to wan link goes of backup router can take effect

regards

hashil

You're layer 3 routing should take care of this.

Although I guess technically if you wanted to have LAN traffic forced over to the other router when you lose your WAN connection then you would have to institute some sort of tracking on the ethernet/LAN interface to force that failure.

See this link for a very brief and simple example:

http://www.cisco.mn/en/US/docs/ios/12_3t/12_3t2/feature/guide/gtvrrptk.html

SUMMARY STEPS

1. enable

2. configure terminal

3. track object-number interface type number {line-protocol | ip routing}

4. interface type-number

5. vrrp [group-number] ip ip-address

6. vrrp [group-number] priority level

7. vrrp [group-number] track object-number [decrement priority]

Hope that helps!

James

7. vrrp [group-number] track object-number [decrement priority]

Yes, that should help. But the only thing I can get is to decrement the priority.

As far as i kow, the priority is something that only matters when the master router has already failed. But I want to set the cause of the failure.

Thanks to everyone!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: