Views
Helpful
Replies

Pinpoint Rogue Access Points

angel-moon
Level 3
Level 3

All,

Does anyone know of a way to pinpoint rogue access points be it equipment or software?  Everything I can find so far gets you close but dies not exactly pointpoint the location.

Thanks in advance!  All replies rated

3 Replies 3

sschmidt
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

WCS along with controllers and a location appliance and properly placed APs can do a very good job placing rogues, clients and tags on maps for location.

As a start you will want to take a look at the deployment guide for the MSE:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps9742/products_tech_note09186a00809d1529.shtml

The information in this guide will give a good jumping off point for locating devices using WCS and Location.

Chapters 5 and 6 of the WCS Configuration Guide also have valuable information:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/wcs/6.0/configuration/guide/WCS60cg.html

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Do you have a WLC to begin with?

In my humble opinion, using WCS is very good if you get all the stuffs done.  I'm talking about the heatmaps.

One of the major factors of locating a Rogue AP or Client depends on how many APs get to see it/them and the layout of a location, say an office floor.

When I tracked down the rogue APs/Clients (several times), I just used the output from the WLC list.  I looked at the signal strength indicator and easily triangulated the located of the targets with an accuracy of about 2 meters.  Let's say that the a number of people were very amazed (including the targets).  It doesn't take a nuclear physicist or a rocket scientist to nail down the target.  It's gets alot trickier if the target starts moving since the WLC refreshes every 30 seconds.

At this site there are only some older 1220 and 1230 APs.  WLC is not an option.  I was looking more so for an actual device of accurate software that I can load on my laptop.  I have netstumbler but maybe I am using it incorrectly.  I can only get to about 40-50 feet in accuracy and then this is a multi-story unit so I am never sure if the signal is actually on the floor I am on or coming from above or below..

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card