cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Base device config storage in Ciscoworks

lehmand
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks again to all who have assisted in my previous question. We are being asked to find a place within Ciscoworks to store a device config for each of the type devices that we have on our network.

So we would have 1 config for a 3750, a 2900, 3548's, etc. I was thinking  we can label a config file, without addressing info, hostname, etc., on it and accomplish it that way. I could label one 3750 -12 port, 3750-48 port, etc., and just add the address info to the config when we deploy a config to a new device.

Is this the best way to do it or is there another way that would work better? We have Ciscoworks LMS 3.2.

Thanks again for you help.

Dave Lehmann

1 Reply 1

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You could use config labeling for this, but the recommended way to accomplish what you describe is with baseline templates.  Go to RME > Config Mgmt > Compliance Mgmt > Template Mgmt.  Create baseline templates for each device type that contains all of the general config commands you want.  You can even add macro substitutions within the templates to be filled in during deployment.  For example:

+ hostname [HOSTNAME]

+ snmp-server community ourReadOnly RO

+ snmp-server community ourReadWrite RW

+ enable secret 5 $1$...

During deployment, you would be given an opportunity to fill in the value of [HOSTNAME] for each device.  Consult the online context-sensitive help for baseline compliance for more details.