cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WRVS4400n

Diesel3737
Level 1
Level 1

Recently i purchased and setup a WRVS4400n for vpn access.  I am able to connect from my home PC (XP) using the quickvpn client.

2 Questions.

1.  is there a quickvpn client for MAC and if not, any ideas what my options might be?

2.  is there a way to connect using vpn without the quickvpn client (I do this with 2 other routers using pptp - RV042 and RV016).

Thanks you

19 Replies 19

Darren DeCroock
Level 4
Level 4

1.  Look here for a QVPN alternative: https://www.myciscocommunity.com/docs/DOC-10585

2.  Unfortunately, the WRVS4400N does not have a built in PPTP server like the RV0xx series.

Thank you,

Darren

Can the RVoxx series of routers which support pptp service MAC clients using native MAC tools (as in Windows) or does a pptp connection through a MAC to a RV0xx router require a client?

Thanks

Unfortunately I cannot connect via a MAC client.  Multiple errors received.  So, i"m certain its somewhere in the configuration between the router and the client:

Info from Log:

Initiated connection CISCO
phase2 negotiation failed due to time up waiting for phase 1.  ESP 76.67.xx.xx{500}-> 10.196.XX.XX

Does the WRVS4400n support any MAC vpn client (either shareware or purchased) that does not have a configuration such as this.  I cannot figure out where I have inputted the incorrect data.

Diesel3737
Level 1
Level 1

After some more attempts, I believe i'm getting closer, yet I am now recieving this error:

IKE error that "none message must be encrypted

Any thoughts?  Thanking everyone in adavnce.

I need to clean up the documment because it is not as clear as I thought originally.

Make sure you go to page 7 and follow the instructions from there on. 

You will give your Mac an IP address that is not valid on either network, so choose wisely. DO NOT give your client an IP from the network you wish to access.

If you still have problems after following the steps from page 7 - 12 post again with errors and we will get you connected.

Thank you for responding.  I used 172.16.10.10 as in your example as it different from the LAN ip's at home or the office.

Local Side:
Endpoint Mode: 172.16.10.10 (i used this address is it is not on my network at work or home)

Remote Side:
Network: What is to be entered here? (Should this be my internal lan at the office? 10.10.5.0) - the internal IP of the router is 10.10.5.1
Netmask: 24

Thanks

sorry i meant to answer that directly. Yes, in the Network section you will enter the network ID of your remote network as you stated, 10.10.5.0 net mask 24.

I will try it shortly.

For the Remote Side:

Can I use the ddyns name or do I have to put in an ip address?

Remote IP Sec Device: jrint.gotdns.com (this is the FQ name - i am using ddyns)

Also, if I use a FQDN, do I have to configure the tunnel any differently (on the WRVS4400n).

As in Page 8 of your documentation and put IP plus FQDN or leave it as IP only for Local Security Gateway type.

Thanks

You can use the FQDN, on IPSecuritas of your WRVS. You should also change the tunnel mode from Main mode to Aggressive, but do not make the same change on the router. Setting the mode to aggressive will give the application more time to resolve the name and connect without timing out.

Still cannot connect.  Log file attached

By default Aggressive mode on the router was checked.

Should it be unchecked?  Should NetBios Mode be checked or niether?

Remote Group Setup

Remote Security Gateway Type:
This Gateway accepts requests from any IP address.
Remote Security Group Type:
IP Address:
. . .

IPSec Setup

Keying Mode:
Phase 1:
Encryption:
Authentication:
Group:
Key Lifetime:
  sec

Phase 2:
Encryption:
Authentication:
Perfect Forward Secrecy:
Preshared Key:

Group:
Key Lifetime:
   sec

Status

Down

Advanced
Aggressive Mode
NetBios Broadcast

I changed the mode on the Router and uncheked Aggressive,  Here is the new log file with the error.

Thanks in advance

ok, first off; do you have the DynDNS auto updater isntalled on a network conputer or enabled on the router?

two; under General (IPSecuritas) you are going to specify your FQDN (jrint.gotdns.com) for Remote Device and set MODE to Aggressive, under ID the remote identifier will be set to FQDN and enter your FQDN.

On the router,

aggressive should not be checked because we are trying to trick the router to be a responder, not an initiator.

from the log file, it looks like you are not resolving your domain name (jrint.gotdns.com). since you are on DHCP make sure your FQDN is updating properly.

right now "jrint.gotdns.com" is not resolving to an IP address.

My dydns is actually "gtkint37.gotdns.com" and it is working because I can connect to it for manageability.  So, the dydns is working and it is configured on the router properly.

I will check the other 2 on the client and update accordingly.

Thanks again

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: