Catalyst 4507 reloading automatically

Unanswered Question
Feb 23rd, 2010

All,

I've only had this issue twice, but it's enough to concern me. I was doing some maintenance and checking on my Catalyst 4507 when all of a sudden the switch threw a ton of messages at me, and proceeded to reload. The only one that I could see was there is a switch trunking on another VLAN that my 4507 said it had received an invalid MAC Address of 00:00:00:00 and then it reloaded. When it came back up, it said that the port that that switch was connected to was in errdisable. What can I do to investigate further, and has anyone else seen this issue? Please advise!!

Thanks,

John Braswell

CCNA

Comptia NET+

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
Giuseppe Larosa Tue, 02/23/2010 - 10:21

Hello John,

I've seen several times an error message about receiving frames with an invalid source MAC addres made of all 0s.

This may be caused by a vmware instance just initialized and not configured.

However, in our case it is just a warning message without any effect.

It would be important to know if the message was about an invalid source or an invalid destination MAC address.

Also in order to make a search among published bugs it would help to know:

-what supervisor model is present on the switch

- the IOS image running on it

sh ver

sh module

to go on

Hope to help

Giuseppe

jbraswell Tue, 02/23/2010 - 10:36

Giuseppe,

I've included the info you requested, I've not heard of the VMWare issue, but the first reload took place before any VMWare was being used. I have recently installed it, but haven't used it in the area that it reported causing the shutdown. Is there a way to get the logs from before the switch started, and get the switch to keep the logs locally so I can tell what happens?

Thanks,

John

Giuseppe Larosa Tue, 02/23/2010 - 11:28

Hello John,

only way to have persistent logs is to export them to a syslog server so that you can look at the log file of the device on the server.

see

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst4500/12.2/46sg/configuration/guide/log.html#wp1084187

I see you are using a very old IOS image

System image file is "bootflash:cat4500-ipbase-mz.122-25.SG4.bin"

I would suggest you to upgrade to a newer image, not the last one but at least a 12.2(46)SG or 12.2(52)SG

verify that you meet the requirements of the new image in terms of RAM and flash size

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Actions

This Discussion

Related Content