cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unity Connection 7.x From Scratch Install Media

asafayan
Level 4
Level 4

We have a Unity 4.05 system in production.  We have two Unity servers in a failover deployment and a backend Exchange server.

I have two new servers purchased for the installation of Unity Connection 7.x. They were spec'ed by our Cisco Gold Reseller and meet the Cisco minimum hardware requirements.

I need to get Unity Connection 7.x installed on those new servers and perform a COBRA export of our Unity 4.05 data and then subsequently import that data via COBRA into the new Unity Connection 7.x servers. Once I've done that, I intend to test the new Unity Connection servers and if they are fully functional, I'll decommission the old Unity 4.05 servers.

With our Entitlement contract number, I see the following orderable software:

UNCN7-UTYMIG-K9=
Migration from Unity 4.x or later to Unity Cxn 7.x
UNITY-MS2003-UPG
Exchange VM-Runtime 2003 - For UCSS ONLY
UNITY-OS-UPG-K9=
Unity OS Upgrade - 2000 to 2003 - For SASU/UCSS ONLY
  View
UNITY5-SL32-VUPK9
Unity 5.X Version Upgrade from 4.X - 32 ports or less
  View
UNITY5-SL96-VUPK9
Unity 5.X Version Upgrade from 4.X - 33 ports or more
  View
UNITY7-32-K9-VUP=
Unity 7.0 Version Upgrade 32 Ports and Less
UNITY7-MAX-K9-VUP=
Unity 7.0 Version Upgrade More Than 32 Ports
UNITY7-SW-KIT-K9=
All Unity SW, Exch, Dom

I don't see any installation media that would allow me to perform a clean installation of Unity Connection on my new servers.  All I see is media to perform an in place upgrade and I do not want to do that as I have new servers.

Does anyone know if this media is available for new / clean installs of Unity Connection 7.x?

3 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Amir,

I believe this part# (below) will get you the Media DVD's to build

Unity Connection 7.x;

UNCN7-UTYMIG-K9=

Cheers!

Rob

View solution in original post

If you ordered new servers from Cisco for CUC 7x, they will come pre-built and come with the DVD media.  In addition, Rob's part number is correct.  Your Cisco AM can order this if you are not entitled to; however, most of the Linux platform servers come preloaded.  The version is based on what model server you purchased.

Amir,

Both TAC engineers told you the same thing.  The specs for both servers are exactly the same.  The different model numbers come down to the preload build that is on the server.  This is what I referred to in my first post.  The servers are prebuilt to the platform installation.

The UCC1 server is, I believe, a prebuild of CUC 8.0 and the actual server model preload is UCA1A.

The UCB2 server is (I know because I just built a cluster of servers of this exact model), preloaded with 7.1(3b) base and the model preload matches the server name (i.e., UCB2).

If you look up the server specs for an IBM equivalent on IBM or a reseller's website, you'll notice that many of the components that aren't up to spec in your configuration will state "up to X" which indicates that the server can be built with various specs based on 1) your choices and 2) your reseller and what they have available and/or what options they make available to you.  In other words, the servers that you buy from Cisco that are branded MCS are IBM model servers that can be purchased from other places outside of Cisco BUT since they are OEM for Cisco, they are built with specific hardware specifications that must be matched if you purchase directly from the vendor.  From there, you also have to pre-build the server yourself (as I mentioned before) to configure drivers, RAID array, etc and then you can run the install DVD and pass the hardware checks to ultimately install the software.

Hailey

Please rate helpful posts!

22 Replies 22

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Amir,

I believe this part# (below) will get you the Media DVD's to build

Unity Connection 7.x;

UNCN7-UTYMIG-K9=

Cheers!

Rob

Hi Rob,

By the product description - it certainly reads likes an in place upgrade application.  I'll inquire further with TAC / Customer Service to get specifics.

Thanks!

Amir

If you ordered new servers from Cisco for CUC 7x, they will come pre-built and come with the DVD media.  In addition, Rob's part number is correct.  Your Cisco AM can order this if you are not entitled to; however, most of the Linux platform servers come preloaded.  The version is based on what model server you purchased.

Thanks.  I have ordered the part number UNCN7-UTYMIG-K9.  Is it just me...sometimes the most challenging aspect of a Cisco solution is ordering the correct part number and get the sucker licensed!

Thanks Rob.  Hope you are well.

I've ordered that part.  I have my servers on hand and will receive the media in 1 week.  The next challenge is getting it licensed correctly.  And then performing the COBRA export from my 4.x production environment and the subsequent COBRA import into the new Unity Connection 7.x servers and testing.

The COBRAS migration is straightforward. Just be sure to read what you can and cannot migrate beforehand. If you have any questions on that, let me know.

Hi -

I ordered and received the UNCN7-UTYMIG-K9 media.  I have two IBM System x3650 M2 Type 7947 purchased directly from IBM.  This model server is specifically listed in the following document -

Cisco Unity Connection 7.1 Supported Platforms List

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/voicesw/ps6789/ps5745/ps6509/data_sheet_c78-491743.html

Platform Overlay 3

• Part number MCS7845I3-K9-UCB2
• IBM x3650-M2 dual processor   ++++++++++++++++THIS IS MY SERVER MODEL ++++++++++++++
• HP DL380-G6 dual processor; HP Part Number:AX693A (software only)
Upon booting from the System Installation DVD tilted:  Cisco Unified Communications Manager 7.13(3b) Includes CUCM BE 7.1(3b) and Cisco Unity Connection 7.1.(3b)
I received the following series of error message and the installation fails:

Validation Error on HSSI mode:

783513 Validation Failure:

CPU Validation Mismatch: found [2] CPU expecting [1]

Disk Validation Error: Not enough disks found [0] expecting [2]

CPU Validation Mismatch: found [2] CPU expecting [1]

Disk Validation Error: Not enough disks found [0] expecting [4]

Memory Size Validation Mismatch: found [4 GB] expecting [6BG]

784513 Validation Failure:

CPU Speed Validation Mismatch: found [2.27GHz]

Disk Validation Error: Not enough disks found [0] expecting [4]

Memory Size Validation Mismatch: found [4 GB] expecting [8BG]

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Amir,

You may want to open a TAC Case here. Please reference this info as well

https://supportforums.cisco.com/thread/2007601?tstart=0

Sorry to hear you're having problems here!

Rob

Hi -

Oh - I already do.  I always take the shot-gun approach and try several routes to getting my answer.  Always hopeful that one of those routes will pay off and hopeful that one day I'll actually be able to install a UCM platform from scratch without error messages................NOT HOLDING MY BREATH!

TAC engineer isn't coming to any definitive conclusions.  He is speculating, as I was also, that the array needs to be built before using the Install media.  But there is not documentation to the effect on cisco.com.

I believe that is true. When you buy OEM from Cisco, the servers are

prebuilt to the platform installation. When you buy direct, you

likely need to prebuild with the manufacturer provided drivers and

install disks. This is also the case, for example, if you choose to

upgrade Unity on a supported but EOS/EOL platform such as the H1 or I1

series servers.

Sent from my iPhone

On Mar 7, 2010, at 12:31 PM, asafayan

As a result of the TAC system upgrades their were performing over the weekend, two different TAC engineers contacted me to assist with this issue and I

rolled with it.  I've gotten two different responses - the both revolve around mapping the non-Cisco hardware to specs for a particular MCS server platform.

The first engineer stated I must meet the server specs for model MCS7845I3-K9-UCC1:

Amir,
I have spoken with some colleagues and we need to have the server have the exact following config:
It is under the one listed ucc1. The x3650 m2 falls under the same part number as .
Until we have the server with those exact specs the wizard will continue to fail. Let me know if we are going to be able to get that server to match those specs.

Thanks

The second engineer stated I must meet the server specs for model MCS7845I3-K9-UCB2:

Amir,
I hope that you are doing great today. I would like to first of all apologize for the misunderstanding that our documentation can sometimes provide. About your server configuration, there is an specific document about your server MCS7845I3-K9-UCB2 please review the following document (by the way since the server was given to you without RAID configuration it complains that the status of the hard drives is unknown)
In both cases, the specs are essentially the same:

Processor

Dual Intel E5540 2.53-GHz; last level cache: 8MB

Memory included

8-GB (four 2-GB DIMM) PC3-10600 1333 MHz, fully buffered DDR-3 RDIMM

Hard disks

Four 300-GB SAS 2.5-in. hot-swap

RAID level

Configured as two RAID 1 arrays

But  - my x3650 came with:

System x3650 M2

IBM Machine Type - Model 7947-32U

IBM Serial Number 99D7948

4 / 8 Gig Memory

4 @ 146 G Drives

Dual Proc - 2.26G

I'll update the case when I have further information. 

Amir,

Both TAC engineers told you the same thing.  The specs for both servers are exactly the same.  The different model numbers come down to the preload build that is on the server.  This is what I referred to in my first post.  The servers are prebuilt to the platform installation.

The UCC1 server is, I believe, a prebuild of CUC 8.0 and the actual server model preload is UCA1A.

The UCB2 server is (I know because I just built a cluster of servers of this exact model), preloaded with 7.1(3b) base and the model preload matches the server name (i.e., UCB2).

If you look up the server specs for an IBM equivalent on IBM or a reseller's website, you'll notice that many of the components that aren't up to spec in your configuration will state "up to X" which indicates that the server can be built with various specs based on 1) your choices and 2) your reseller and what they have available and/or what options they make available to you.  In other words, the servers that you buy from Cisco that are branded MCS are IBM model servers that can be purchased from other places outside of Cisco BUT since they are OEM for Cisco, they are built with specific hardware specifications that must be matched if you purchase directly from the vendor.  From there, you also have to pre-build the server yourself (as I mentioned before) to configure drivers, RAID array, etc and then you can run the install DVD and pass the hardware checks to ultimately install the software.

Hailey

Please rate helpful posts!

Hi..

I was successfully able to install the CUCM 7.1.3 on an IBM X3650 M2.

The problem i had was with the Raid controller Card. For CUCM we require the Raid controllet card to be MR 10i but the server i got from IBM was M5104.

I manage to find an IBM X3650 M2(with same specs as myserver) but with MR10i raid controller and was successfull in installing. I have also raised an ticket with IBM as why M5104 is not supported for CUCM installation becuase they claim that M5104 is an upgraded version of MR10i and it should support them.

Would keep you updated once i get the confirmation from them.

We need not require to configure the Raidon the CUCM. the system installation DVD would care of it.

Thanks

Hari

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: