Fax Detection

Unanswered Question
Feb 23rd, 2010

I'm looking into a SNR configuration for voice and faxes for a customer and haven't been able to find any real information on the way this scenario works.    I understand that it is completed by a TCL script on the voice gateway which listens for fax tones, then sends it to the fax server if a tone is heard within the 9 second window.   The questions I have are:

1.  Can the call still go to the end users phone, or does it have to go to the voice mail system.  It seems like all the configuration examples need the call to go to an auto attendant in order for the remote fax machine to detect a completed call and start the fax tones.    Can we instead have it ring to the individual phones; if the user picks up within the 9 second window the gateway will still hear the tone, if they dont it will go to voice mail and start the tones anyway.    The IOS gateway window may need to be extended to 15 - 20 seconds for this to work...?

2.  Does this fax detection require the Cisco Fax server or can it use any fax server (GFI for example).   GFI still uses FoIP (h323) so dial peers can still point to that fax server.

3. Can anyone provide a review on how fax detection works in their environment?  What are the drawbacks you have noticed?

Thanks for any help you guys can provide.

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)

This Discussion