Functionality Cisco router RV082

Answered Question

I have a question about the behavior and possibilities that would have with the Cisco RV082 (Linksys). From what I see in the datasheet, this router has 2 WAN ports that can be used for backup or for balancing traffic.
In WAN Port1 I connect DSL Line where I have published a website for my clients that they are visit and place orders, and in the other WAN Port2 I have connect DSL where I have a VPN to another office. I know this is possible, but in case of fall the one DSL line, can I configure so that the WAN Port traffic go by the other and vice versa? ie as a backup? Creating a single "virtual port"? If so, can I send it as a destination interface or the other?.

Thanks.

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Correct Answer by Paolo Bevilacqua about 6 years 9 months ago

You need a particular configuration for load sharing and/or backup. More important, you need someone that is able to understand, test and mantain it.

The weak point of Linksys is software, not even comparable to true Cisco.

Overall Rating: 4.7 (3 ratings)
Paolo Bevilacqua Wed, 02/24/2010 - 02:37

If you are serious about getting a redudnat conenctionm, reccomend you get a true Cisco router like 877 or 1801.

Some people has reported that the Linksys "dual WAN" feature doesn't even really work.

Paolo Bevilacqua Wed, 02/24/2010 - 03:46

For that you would need a 1841 with 2x HWIC-1ADSL.

If that is too expensive, you can use a 877 (with advanced services feature) or a 1801, with one ADSL onboard, and one external ADSL modem in bridge mode.

Please remember to rate useful posts clicking on the stars below.

Ok ok... If I use to 877 with advanced functionallity, and one line is broken, all traffic run to other line automatically... but how? Do I need to create a virtual port?...

Oohhh Sorry that does not work the RV082... How is it possible to manufacture a router that does not work?

I thought it might be a good product and cheap...

Thanks.

Correct Answer
Paolo Bevilacqua Wed, 02/24/2010 - 04:06

You need a particular configuration for load sharing and/or backup. More important, you need someone that is able to understand, test and mantain it.

The weak point of Linksys is software, not even comparable to true Cisco.

Actions

This Discussion