cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Functionality Cisco router RV082

rrt
Level 1
Level 1

I have a question about the behavior and possibilities that would have with the Cisco RV082 (Linksys). From what I see in the datasheet, this router has 2 WAN ports that can be used for backup or for balancing traffic.
In WAN Port1 I connect DSL Line where I have published a website for my clients that they are visit and place orders, and in the other WAN Port2 I have connect DSL where I have a VPN to another office. I know this is possible, but in case of fall the one DSL line, can I configure so that the WAN Port traffic go by the other and vice versa? ie as a backup? Creating a single "virtual port"? If so, can I send it as a destination interface or the other?.

Thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

You need a particular configuration for load sharing and/or backup. More important, you need someone that is able to understand, test and mantain it.

The weak point of Linksys is software, not even comparable to true Cisco.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If you are serious about getting a redudnat conenctionm, reccomend you get a true Cisco router like 877 or 1801.

Some people has reported that the Linksys "dual WAN" feature doesn't even really work.

Ok, but in the Router 877 only have one Wan Port and I have two DSL line... How can I connect the two lines wan and load balancing or backup them?

Thanks.

For that you would need a 1841 with 2x HWIC-1ADSL.

If that is too expensive, you can use a 877 (with advanced services feature) or a 1801, with one ADSL onboard, and one external ADSL modem in bridge mode.

Please remember to rate useful posts clicking on the stars below.

Ok ok... If I use to 877 with advanced functionallity, and one line is broken, all traffic run to other line automatically... but how? Do I need to create a virtual port?...

Oohhh Sorry that does not work the RV082... How is it possible to manufacture a router that does not work?

I thought it might be a good product and cheap...

Thanks.

You need a particular configuration for load sharing and/or backup. More important, you need someone that is able to understand, test and mantain it.

The weak point of Linksys is software, not even comparable to true Cisco.

Ok Don´t worry, I have a co-worker speciallity in communications.

if he had any more technical questions open another forum.

Thanks

No problem, thank you for the nice rating and good luck!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card