cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

BCP over L2TP supported?

MCentrick2010
Level 1
Level 1

Is there a Cisco box that performs (Ethernet) bridging over an IP network using for example BCP over L2TP?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

It would be possible, I believe, to transport Ethernet frames over IP (maybe GRE?):

It may be possible, but officially unsupported.

If the MTU of the network is smaller than Ethernet's (1500) the frame will be broken down into more IP packets, reassembled at the other end so the complete Ethernet frame can be received.

Not so easy. IP Fragmentation is a layer 3 (routing) feature. Once you do bridging, layer 3 is out of the picture.

LTpv3 promoses to transport ethern over IP. In fact, is known to woork poorly.

So in short, do regular routing, or VPN, and everything will work fine.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Not really. Part of the problem is that since you cannot transport full ethernet frames over the internet due to MTU, brdiging alones does not resolve the problem.

Ok, I am probably wrong but I do not see it.

Let's forget about the BCP, L2TP complication.

It would be possible, I believe, to transport Ethernet frames over IP (maybe GRE?):

If the MTU of the network is smaller than Ethernet's (1500) the frame will be broken down into more IP packets, reassembled at the other end so the complete Ethernet frame can be received.

Isn't it?

It may be possible, but officially unsupported.

Not so easy. IP Fragmentation is a layer 3 (routing) feature. Once you do bridging, layer 3 is out of the picture.

LTpv3 promoses to transport ethern over IP. In fact, is known to woork poorly.

So in short, do regular routing, or VPN, and everything will work fine.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: