cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Frame Relay question

stevec90
Level 1
Level 1

When setting up a frame relay topology, and setting up the serial interfaces on the spoke routers (hub and spoke topology) is it required to specify "point-to-point" or "multipoint" on the interfaces? The only way to specify these settings are to create subinterfaces and I am using the physical interface and assigning an ip to that. Perhaps that is why frame relay is not working. (??)

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

is it required to specify "point-to-point" or "multipoint" on the interfaces?

If you are planning to use subinterfaces, you need to select an subinterface type - the options are the ones you mentioned. However, for frame-relay is not always required to create subinterfaces. If you can provide the requirements, we can help you further.

and I am using the physical interface and assigning an ip to that. Perhaps that is why frame relay is not working

If you are using the main interface, it has the same effect as using a multipoint interface. You have to make sure the frame-relay mappings are either assigned dynamically or statically. With point-to-point subinterfaces, you aren't concerned with frame-relay mappings so the setup is much easier.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

is it required to specify "point-to-point" or "multipoint" on the interfaces?

If you are planning to use subinterfaces, you need to select an subinterface type - the options are the ones you mentioned. However, for frame-relay is not always required to create subinterfaces. If you can provide the requirements, we can help you further.

and I am using the physical interface and assigning an ip to that. Perhaps that is why frame relay is not working

If you are using the main interface, it has the same effect as using a multipoint interface. You have to make sure the frame-relay mappings are either assigned dynamically or statically. With point-to-point subinterfaces, you aren't concerned with frame-relay mappings so the setup is much easier.

Thanks for the info! It must have been something I did in the config, I will try it again using the physical interfaces --- it's working fine now using the subinterfaces so maybe I just needed to practice it once! I am just in a lab getting the feel of it, so no requirements, but thanks again.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card