Views
Helpful
Replies

Issue Forwarding Port 7000 on RVS4000 Router

danielk11
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Everyone,

I have recently replaced a WatchGuard Firebox SOHO 6 with a Linksys 4 Port Router Mod: RVS4000 because the WatchGuard was becoming unstable.

I set up the new router with all the settings from the previous equipment, which included forwarding port 7000 to a specific IP.

This port broadcasts images from a surveillance software installed on a computer with a static IP (the computer runs on Vista).

In order to view the broadcasted video on another computer, I use a proprietary software not a web browser.

So far, I tried single port forwarding without being able to view the images and range port forwarding with the same result.

I spend over an hour with the Business Tech Support from Linksys without success. They even remoted into the device and found nothing suspicious.

Currently the router runs on firmware version 1.2.11 and the Tech Support people suggested upgrading to a newer version.

I'm concerned to do so because I in read other postings that I can run into a bigger problem (i.e. bricking the router).

Finally, other ports are being forwarded (i.e. port 3389 RDP) and it works fine, so at least I know the forwarding feature is working properly.

Can someone shed some ligh as to what to do next?

Needless to say, everything was working fine with the WatchGuard Firebox and no changes in equipment, IPs or other software/hardware have been done.

Thank you in advance fro your help.

danielk

2 Replies 2

juunda
Level 1
Level 1

Greetings,

That sounds peculiar that some ports would get forwarded but others not, you might want to check and see if your ISP is blocking the ports if your going through the internet to this security application.  If everything is local, then you should try to follow the advice of upgrading your firmware to the latest version, in order to avoid "bricking" your router do the following sequence, before you upgrade:

do a backup of your configuration (optional)

Reset router to factory default settings from the GUI.

Upgrade to latest firmware.

Reset router to factory default settings again from the GUI.

Configure everything again manually *RECOMENDED* 

This somewhat ilogical sequence of events prevents the IOS from being corrupted and has worked in many cases I have dealt with regarding router "lock up" issues.

Besides that the only thing else I can think of is find out if there are any more additional ports required for this application to work properly and check to see if your using the exact protocol  UDP or TCP for the ports that are being forwarded.

Regards.

Alejandro Gallego
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

you stated that the software "broadcasts" over port 7000, is this a streaming application? in other words, for me to look at the video do i need to launch my web browser and point it to the Vista box? (talking from the WAN side) or just launch my handy video connection application and it will phone home to the Vista box and display the video?

you may want to check two things, one; you may want to create a port trigger rather than a port forward; two, if port forward is correct, then i would bet you are using TCP rather than UDP. unless specified by the mfg, try UDP for the protocol.

i know this is a late post but hope it helps.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: