Simulate Cisco Switches

Unanswered Question

Does anyone know any free software that can simulate cisco switches commands?  I would like to know the outcome if I run certain command lines on a cisco switches.  I do not have apre switches to test or see what it does.  Basically I just want to see what happen if I run a command line that has an existing command like

Before

interfacet port-channel11

switchport trunk allowed vlan 8,9,10

After - Need to add vlan 80

What would happen if I ran the command line?

switchport trunk allowed vlan 80

I found out that it will remove all the vlan on port-channel11 except 80 and that cause major problems.  I had a space between comma each number and I did not know that.

So my thing is I would like to simulate something like this and show me the outcome if I ran that command.

Thanks in advance.

Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
burleyman Wed, 02/24/2010 - 13:48
User Badges:
  • Blue, 1500 points or more

If you just want to add VLAN 80 you could just run this

switchport trunk allowed vlan 8,9,10,80

or this would also do it

switchport trunk allowed vlan add 80

Either of these would work.

Please rate helpful posts.

Mike

burleyman Wed, 02/24/2010 - 13:52
User Badges:
  • Blue, 1500 points or more

Here is the explaination.

The vlan-list format is all | none | add | remove | except vlan-list[,vlan-list...] where:

all—Specifies all VLANs from 1 to 1005. Beginning with Cisco IOS Release 12.4(15)T, the valid VLAN ID range is from 1 to 4094.

none—Indicates an empty list. This keyword is not supported in the switchport trunk allowed vlan form of the command.

add—Adds the defined list of VLANs to those currently set instead of replacing the list.

remove—Removes the defined list of VLANs from those currently set instead of replacing the list.

except—Lists the VLANs that should be calculated by inverting the defined list of VLANs.

vlan-list—Is either a single VLAN number from 1 to 1005 or a continuous range of VLANs described by two VLAN numbers, the lesser one first, separated by a hyphen that represents the VLAN IDs of the allowed VLANs when this port is in trunking mode. Beginning with Cisco IOS Release 12.4(15)T, the valid VLAN ID range is from 1 to 4094.

Please rate helpful posts.

Mike

nqtran1979 Thu, 02/25/2010 - 01:54
User Badges:

In response to the free software. You can have a look at GNS3.

HTH,

Nhat

Actions

This Discussion