Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I can't get IPv6 to work on my Cisco 877:

gw# conf t

gw(config)# ipv6 unicast-routing

^
% Invalid input detected at '^' marker.

Do I need to do something to enable it? I have a /56 from our ISP that I would need to configure...

Thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You need Advanced IP Services image for IPv6.

View solution in original post

12 Replies 12

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You need Advanced IP Services image for IPv6.

Are you being serious??? That a router bought at the end of 2009 does not support IPv6 by default? This router was bought to replace a $40 Zyxel router which was 2 years old and supported IPv6. The documentation or technical specs don't mention anywhere that it's not supported by default. How much would Advanced IP Services cost?

Apparently, it is Cisco policy then to encourage piracy of advanced IOS versions by home users. Nice to know that Cisco is doing their part in encouraging IPv6 deployment. I already had to buy a TAC contract to get a newer firmware version as it wouldn't work otherwise with my ISP DSLAM.

Cisco publicly states what is supported and what is not. Maybe not in capital letters, but be reassured that is there.

Regarding piracy, a license enforcement scheme is coming already.

Regarding ADSL FW upgrades, they are publicily available, up to a decent version level at:

ftp://ftp.cisco.com/pub/access/800/

Regarding IPv6, you're the first person that I hear that needs it on an home-office router.

Please don't throw your frustration to me. The above are simple true facts and I'm just stating them so no flaming or low rating, thank you.

edvardf82
Level 1
Level 1

I was in no way targeting you by my frustration. You can be assured that it is 100% targeted at Cisco. After already having to pay for a TAC agreement in order to get my DSL link up and having now to pay more to be part of our ISP's initial deployment of IPv6, I'm only going to do everything I can in the future to discourage anyone I know from buying Cisco's products.

About cisco mentioning lack of IPv6 support. It is not like they are explicitly stating that a router supports IPv4. In 2010 I wouldn't have even thought that you would have to even distinguish between them when you are talking about a router.

Thanks again for your helpful responses.

Just want to mention this again since is a FAQ:

Regarding ADSL FW upgrades, they are publicily available, up to a decent version level at:

ftp://ftp.cisco.com/pub/access/800/

Thank you for the nice rating and good luck.

You need a 4.x version to get a link up with my ISP (4.0.15 was the only one that worked). Only 3.x versions are offered for free.

That is very possible and I agree it's shameful Cisco don't release these freely. But knowing them from inside, it's also likely they just "forgot".

Hi Paolo.

I have the same problem.

My Cisco 877-SEC/K9 does not support IPv6 and that's quite incredible....

Anyway, the matter is that the link you provided (ftp://ftp.cisco.com/pub/access/800/) does not work anymore.

Can you tell me where to download a working ipv6 image for my Cisco 877-SEC/K9 ?

Actually:

System image file is "flash:c870-advsecurityk9-mz.124-15.T10.bin"

Thanks in advance,

Stefania

Can you tell me where to download a working ipv6 image for my Cisco 877-SEC/K9 ?

You need a support contract to download Cisco IOS images.

Thought so.

Anyway we have it.

Please can anyone tell me what's the correct image to have VPN & IPv6 support on 877 routers ?

We have a lot, and wouldn't try to upload a lot of

Thanks in advance,

Stefania

Please can anyone tell me what's the correct image to have VPN & IPv6 support on 877 routers ?

Please read my very first answer in this thread.

Hi,

these routers are supposed to be for enterprises branch offices or small business and so if you had a working ipv6 home router , why did you choose to replace it with a Cisco enterprise model.You should have looked at SMB device instead.

But this is just my  opinion which by no way I claim to be the god truth 

Regards.

Alain.

Don't forget to rate helpful posts.
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: