cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Password Recovery on pix 515e

kmallett
Level 1
Level 1

I am trying to resurrect an older firewall for a project. It is a Pix 515e. I do not have the passwords, so I am trying to do a recovery. I do not seem to be able to get the Ethernet ports on the firewall to intitialize. I have the pix connect to a computer. The console port is connected to the serial pc port and I am at the monitor> port. I have a cross-over ethernet cable attached to Pix E0 and the PC Ethernet interface. At the prompt, monitor> I type interface 0, it comes back with...

Ethernet auto negotiation timed out.

Ethernet port 0 could not be initialized.

Any ideas on what is going on? I actually have 2 pix 515's doing the same thing. The pc Ethernet port is known good.

Thoughts?? Thank you in advance.

4 Replies 4

Kureli Sankar
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hardcode the speed of on the PIX 100full and see if that helps.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/vpndevc/ps2030/products_password_recovery09186a008009478b.shtml#pix_without

Have you tried the other interfaces in the PIX? Did you try to add a switch or hub between the PIX and the PC?

-KS

Thank you for your response.

I cannot get into the Cisco pix config far enough to set the speed. The enable password is what I am missing.

I have tried pix E0 and E1, both.

I have not put a switch or hub inbetween, but then again it should not require it.

Again, thank you. Anyone else have any suggestions on why the pix ethernets will not initialize. It has to be something stupid I am missing, or could be hardware.

Thanks in advance...

I would certainly try a hub or switch in the middle which will help the interface auto negotiate.

If that fails then you have a hardware issue.

-KS

I will try the hub/switch in between to fix or eliminate the variable. Thank you.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card