cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

No Packets on the Interface

hadisharifi
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, I have a Cisco 6524 MPLS enabled and I have the below configuration however I don't see any traffic on the interface captured by the policy map.

interface GigabitEthernet1/7
ip vrf forwarding HT_SP
ip address x.x.x.x 255.255.255.252
load-interval 30
speed 100
duplex full
mls qos trust dscp
service-policy input TEST
end

class-map match-any PLATINUM
  match ip dscp ef

policy-map TEST
  class PLATINUM
    trust dscp

The ouput shows no traffic and it only shows traffic in the default calss when I ping the other end.

PE1.MT#sh policy-map interface g1/7 in

GigabitEthernet1/7

Service-policy input: TEST

class-map: PLATINUM (match-any)
      Match: ip dscp ef (46)
     trust dscp
      Earl in slot 1 :
        0 bytes
        30 second offered rate 0 bps
        aggregate-forwarded 0 bytes

Class-map: class-default (match-any)
      58 packets, 4730 bytes
      30 second offered rate 0 bps, drop rate 0 bps
      Match: any
        58 packets, 4730 bytes
        30 second rate 0 bps

The show interface displays the traffic on the interface

30 second input rate 194000 bits/sec, 172 packets/sec
  30 second output rate 265000 bits/sec, 213 packets/sec

Any ideas what is happening here or what I am doing wrong?

Thanks

2 Replies 2

jcozzupoli
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

This would be because you are matching DSCP EF packets in your TEST policy-map. Since you are sending a ping, or for that matter anything that is not EF, it would fall into the class-default class as that catches any packets which don't fall into any of the manually configured class-maps.

If you would like to test EF you could either send your pings with a  TOS value of 184 which is the equivalent to EF DSCP, or you could make a new class-map matching icmp-echo using NBAR if supported, just to name a few, there are many other ways.

HTH

Regards,

Joe.

Thanks for the reply Joe, I guess I didn't explain it very well. I understand that I am matching EF traffic only and all other traffic should go to the default class but I don't see any traffic going to the default class apart from the ping traffic eventhough there is a constant flow of traffic on the interface as per the show interface output and input result. Why the packets aren't showing up in the default class if they aren't EF and only the ping traffic shows up in the default class?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: