cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

DCR Shows Ip address instead of Hostname in Ciscoworks LMS 3.1

ROBERT THOMSON
Level 1
Level 1

I've struck a problem with not being able to update the device hostnames when I do a discovery.

I'm aware of bug CSCsv65933 Discovery does not update display name in DCR and have ordered an upgrade.

I am still concerned however that there may be something more fundamentally wrong in the name resolution process.

Testing name resolution using the resolver.pl script fails for reverse lookups. Reverse lookups using nslookup work fine (output below)

D:\Program Files\CSCOpx\bin>perl resolver.pl 192.168.36.7 BNE3750-A-L31
d:\PROGRA~1\CSCOpx/www/classpath/com/cisco/nm/cmf/desktop
Original name: 192.168.36.7
Hostnames/IP Addresses:
        /192.168.36.7

Original name: BNE3750-A-L31
Hostnames/IP Addresses:
        BNE3750-A-L31/192.168.36.7

D:\Program Files\CSCOpx\bin>nslookup 192.168.36.7
Server:  bnedns.acme.com.au
Address:  192.168.0.21

Name:    bne3750-a-l31.acme.com.au
Address:  192.168.36.7

Based on other posts I studied it would appear that resolver.pl should do reverse lookups.  Any clues why it might be failing for me.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Martin Ermel
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

it seems you are seeing the following 2 bugs:

CSCsq54877 for the resolver.pl and

CSCsv65933 for the problem that the device name does not get updated in DCR;

you have two options, contact TAC to get the patch or update to LMS 3.2

=======

CSCsq54877 Bug Details

resolver.pl may not properly resolve IP to hostname.

Symptom:

The resolver.pl tool may not properly resolve IP Address to hostname. This problem occur although the proper resolution path exists.

However, the resolver.pl tool properly resolves IP Address to hostname.

Conditions:

This occurs anytime when an IP address argument is passed to resolver.pl.

Workaround:

Use the nslookup or host command from the Operating System to get proper lookup results, if If the IP address has a PTR DNS record.

However, if the IP address is listed in the local hosts file, there is no workaround

CSCsv65933 Bug Details

Discovery does not update display name in DCR

Symptom:

The Device Credential Repository display name attribute is not updated after running Discovery despite the "Update DCR Display Name" box being checked.

Conditions:

This occurs for Common Services 3.2 Discovery.

Workaround:

To have the DCR display name reflect the correct value, the device must be manually edited under Common Services > Device and Credentials > Device Management

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Martin Ermel
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

it seems you are seeing the following 2 bugs:

CSCsq54877 for the resolver.pl and

CSCsv65933 for the problem that the device name does not get updated in DCR;

you have two options, contact TAC to get the patch or update to LMS 3.2

=======

CSCsq54877 Bug Details

resolver.pl may not properly resolve IP to hostname.

Symptom:

The resolver.pl tool may not properly resolve IP Address to hostname. This problem occur although the proper resolution path exists.

However, the resolver.pl tool properly resolves IP Address to hostname.

Conditions:

This occurs anytime when an IP address argument is passed to resolver.pl.

Workaround:

Use the nslookup or host command from the Operating System to get proper lookup results, if If the IP address has a PTR DNS record.

However, if the IP address is listed in the local hosts file, there is no workaround

CSCsv65933 Bug Details

Discovery does not update display name in DCR

Symptom:

The Device Credential Repository display name attribute is not updated after running Discovery despite the "Update DCR Display Name" box being checked.

Conditions:

This occurs for Common Services 3.2 Discovery.

Workaround:

To have the DCR display name reflect the correct value, the device must be manually edited under Common Services > Device and Credentials > Device Management

Thanks Mermel. The resolver bug would explain it nicely.  I'll post back after the upgrade.

Thanks Mermel.  The upgrade fixed the resolver problem and the DCR is now populated with the hostnames.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: