cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

I want to connect my office network from my home . How to do without VPN.

vinothlb1
Level 1
Level 1

I want to connect my office network from my home . How to do without VPN.

7 Replies 7

Hi,

Actually the VPN would be the recommendation, because otherwise would not be a secure connection when going through the Internet.

Why wouldn't you want VPN?

Federico.

pompeychimes
Level 4
Level 4

You said office network but i assume you mean you want to use your office computer from home...

logmein.com, gotomypc.com, etc...

Microsoft Direct Access

Remote Desktop

VNC.

James

Hi,

VNC is not secure.

Remote Desktop, Microsoft Direct Access - won't work through NAT probably.

logmein.com, gotomypc.com, teamviewer.com, etc... - would probably work, but I'd check carefully how do they secure the communication channel and advertise the link to the office PC.

VPN is always a recommended solution to connect from home to office network.

BR,

Milan

Tight VNC can be secure. UltraVNC and others have plugins to encrypt data. You can also tunnel it through SSH.

Remote desktop has been traversing NAT devices for years. MS Direct Access is doing the same.

Logmein, gotomypc, etc... all use SSL/TLS

Agreed, VPN is the recommended solution. All of the above are types of VPNs.

James

Hi,

Remote desktop traversing NAT is OK, but how would you connect to an office PC behind a router NATing all office PC addresses to his WAN interface address (i.e., PAT) without some secured tunnel to the office network established first? (That is what I'd call a VPN connection.)

My understanding was installing Logmein on the office PC registers your PC to some Internet server (establishing some tunnell to that server).

And you connect from your home PC to the same server and with a knowledge of a password and some unique ID of the office PC those two tunnels are interconnected.

But I might be wrong here, I never used such a tool in practice.

BR,

Milan

I'd use a static nat to allow and translate inbound remote desktop connections.

Your ideas on how logmein works is about right. I use logmein in many different ways. I use it to help my mom when she has computer problems. She's in England, I'm in the USA. I use it to manage all of my computers at work.I use it to do consulting work. I also use it to access my home network and lab.

To be clear, I'm not saying these tools are better than traditional VPNs. I also use VPNs, I use them extensively. Its about picking the right tool for the job.

Regards,

James

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You're not making this easy, aren't you?  Your question is like asking "How do I travel across the ocean without flying or sailing?"

Judging from the previous recommendations (good ones, mind you), I would ask how far is the physical location of your house to your office.  The only thing left, without VPN, is run a (dark) fibre optic from your office to your residence. 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco