Views
Helpful
Replies

Unable to find Dell Mac/IP address

sgilfrin1
Level 1
Level 1

I'm trying to find the mac and ip address of a Dell chassis. I know which ports

its connected to, they're up and working and I know what VLAN its on. However I can't see it if I do a sh mac-address-table. The only thing I can think of is my predecessor had fixed is network address then moved it over to another vlan. All I want is to see what IP address its got. I've tried to see what its might

have got from DHCP, but thats not giving its name (which I also don't know).

Has anyone got any other ideas for my predicament?

Steve

8 Replies 8

Ganesh Hariharan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I'm trying to find the mac and ip address of a Dell chassis. I know which ports

its connected to, they're up and working and I know what VLAN its on. However I can't see it if I do a sh mac-address-table. The only thing I can think of is my predecessor had fixed is network address then moved it over to another vlan. All I want is to see what IP address its got. I've tried to see what its might

have got from DHCP, but thats not giving its name (which I also don't know).

Has anyone got any other ideas for my predicament?

Steve

Hi Steve,

If you want to check the mac-address of any device which is learned by switch then issue show mac-address and then by show arp | in "mac-address" will show you the port learened and possibly the ip address associated with that mac.

Hope that Help

Ganesh.H

Hi Ganesh

That's exactly what I have been trying, but its not picking up its mac-adress, or at least its not showing the ports and a mac-address. I can't think of any other way around it.

Hi Ganesh

That's exactly what I have been trying, but its not picking up its mac-adress, or at least its not showing the ports and a mac-address. I can't think of any other way around it.

Hi Steve,

If you know the connected port then try with this command show mac-address dynamic which will tell that dynamically learned mac-address via specific ports.

HTH

Ganesh.H

Hi Ganesh,

tried it and not showing, even trying sh mac-address int gig 2/0/1 (thats one of the ports) doesn't show any details. Its very frustrating.

Hi Steve,

Is the client configured for NIC teaming?  If so, disable the primary NIC and try again.
Do you know the IP address?  If you do, from the switch, ping the IP address and then try "sh ip arp ".

I don't know if the nic was configured for teaming, the server and network was configured by a former member of staff that had to leave suddenly and didn't leave any information (including the ip address).

Steve

If sh mac addr dyn int doesn't find it then it isn't sending any traffic.

trying pinging the broadcast address and then checking again, source the ping from the vlan the relevant interface is configured for.

j.england
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, was a solution to this issue ever found?  We're experiencing the same problem with Dell chassis/blades.  The MAC will show up after the blade is cycled, but otherwise we're unable to see them much of the time.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: