Replies

Renaming Pix 525 Interfaces

tffmaguire
Level 1
Level 1

We are in the process of upgrading our ISP

connection from 100Mb to 300Mb.

We currently utilize ethernet0 with a nameif of "outside"

When we upgrade, we will be utilizing gb-ethernet0 with a nameif of "intf2".

As this upgrade will be a "hot cut", can I simply change the nameif of gb-ethernet0 to "outside" to maintain existing configuration references to "outside".

ethernet0  will be disconnected for the upgrade.

Thanks,

Tom Maguire

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi,

//As this upgrade will be a "hot cut", can I simply change the nameif of gb-ethernet0 to "outside" to maintain existing configuration references to "outside".//

this is the best solution for migrating link from 100 Mbps to 300Mbps.

In this scenario no need to change the ACL.NAT and etc.  so no worries...only the thing is need to change then new interface name as "OUTSIDE" and the security-level also sholud be same as the existing one..

advance wishes for your migration..

regards

karuppu

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Hi,

//As this upgrade will be a "hot cut", can I simply change the nameif of gb-ethernet0 to "outside" to maintain existing configuration references to "outside".//

this is the best solution for migrating link from 100 Mbps to 300Mbps.

In this scenario no need to change the ACL.NAT and etc.  so no worries...only the thing is need to change then new interface name as "OUTSIDE" and the security-level also sholud be same as the existing one..

advance wishes for your migration..

regards

karuppu

First you have to issue no nameif on the ether0 which is presently the outside which will remove all lines referring to outside

like ssh lines and http lines and access-g lines.

Once you configure the new gig interface as the outside interface you will have to put back the removed access-g, ssh and http lines. The access-list will not be removed just the access-group line.

-KS

Thanks for the added detail.

Tom

Thanks Karuppu.

That was the answer I was hoping for.

Tom

Thanks for your comments..

if you find my comments are ok...please rate it..

regards

karuppu

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card