Helpful
Replies

5508 Redundancy

eoinwhite
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I'm trying to get redundancy operating correctly. What I have done so far is:

Created a management interface 10.136.0.13 with dynamic ap management disabled.

A "ap-manager-primary" 10.136.0.15 interface on port 1 with dynamic ap management enabled.

A "ap-manager-backup" 10.136.0.14 interface on port 2 with dynamic ap management enabled.

See the attached screenshot.

Port 1 is connected to one core switch and port 2 is connected to the other core switch. Initially this seemed to work fine. If core switch 1 goes down the 10.136.0.13 management interface was still reachable over port 2.

However when port 1 comes back up it doesnt seem to preempt and stays active on port 2. And so what I found is that when port 2 goes down the WLC isnt accessable on the 10.136.0.13 management interface.

How do people normally conifgure the 5508 across two core switches?

Thanks in advance.

3 Replies 3

Javier Contreras
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi

Two  questions:

1. Is management port configured with port 2 as backup?

2. How you are testing the port going down?

(cable removed, shut down on switch side, disable on WLC side, etc)

Active/backup scenario should recover after 30 seconds of primary port coming back up. If this is not happening, please let me know to follow up on this.

Regards

Hi,

what about management and ap-manager on same VLAN on 5508?

Did you receive any error message or warning when you configured ap-manager on same VLAN as management interface on 5508?

Regarding failover, there is a note in conf guide 6.0

"For 5500 series controllers in a non-link-aggregation (non-LAG) configuration, the management interface must be on a different VLAN than any dynamic AP-manager interface. Otherwise, the management interface cannot fail over to the port that the AP-manager is on."

regards,

Dinko your spot on ... management and AP manager on the same VLAN. Can't understand why I can't have this but I guess this is why it isnt failing back.

Thanks,

Eoin.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card