cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RV016 firmware update causes problem.

syscokid3
Level 1
Level 1

After updating firmware to 3.0.0.19 on our RV016 router the log file is showing an error about every 70 seconds.

Event type: Authentication Failure

Message: 2010/02/24 17:20:34 Bad login attempt for user: (null)

It doesn't seem to have any affect on the system but I would like to know what is causing it.

Thank you.

3 Replies 3

alissitz
Level 4
Level 4

Hummm ... I do not see anything in the release notes.  Will be interesting to hear what others mention.

Do you have two consoles open from separate machines, or some monitoring open?  Every 70 seconds sounds like there is a process running in a browser or machine ... if it was occasional, I might suspect someone trying to get to the admin pages without logging in first.

Maybe a scan for unsecured web pages across the network.

If no one on this community helps, and you feel it needed, I might suggest a quick call to our support.

On our main page we include a link for "Small Business Support Contacts"

https://www.myciscocommunity.com/community/smallbizsupport

HTH,

Andrew Lissitz

I think our ISP solved the problem - The log shows a disconnect shortly after midnight Thur for about 30 minutes. After the reconnect the log has been clear.

We had been having a problem and our ISP had beern here to fix it and I am assuming they did some kind of update that also took care of the "Authentication Failure". Thanks for your response.

PPOE?  User and pass problems ... their server might have been down ...

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: