Views
Helpful
Replies

I cant revert back to PVST from MST on 4948

chris
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

We have installed a 4948 its spanning tree mode is MST, we need it to be in PVST.

spanning-tree mode ? - only has the option for mst

no spanning-tree mode - doesnt revert the switch to PVST mode.

How do i get the switch into PVST mode?

Thanks

Chris

5 Replies 5

nawas
Level 4
Level 4

What vtp mode this switch is in? try changing to transparent and then change the STP mode.

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

chris@icl.net

Hi,

We have installed a 4948 its spanning tree mode is MST, we need it to be in PVST.

spanning-tree mode ? - only has the option for mst

no spanning-tree mode - doesnt revert the switch to PVST mode.

How do i get the switch into PVST mode?

Thanks

Chris

Chris

What image are you running because the LAN Base image does not support PVST+ or RPVST+ which is probably why you are not seeing these options with the "spanning-tree mode .." command.

Jon

Jon,

Thank you, i had considered the possibilty that it wasnt in the IOS but quickly dismissed it as a crazy idea, thank you again.

We have (cat4500-LANBASEK9-M), Version 12.2(52)SG

I will now attempt to find some documentation as to why this is the case

chris@icl.net

Jon,

Thank you, i had considered the possibilty that it wasnt in the IOS but quickly dismissed it as a crazy idea, thank you again.

We have (cat4500-LANBASEK9-M), Version 12.2(52)SG

I will now attempt to find some documentation as to why this is the case

Chris

Surprised me as well as the LAN Base image is meant to be the L2 image only. Weirdly if you look at the configuration docs for the 4948 switch up to 12.2(50) it clearly states that LAN Base image does not support PVST+ or RPVST+.

But the 12.2(52) configuration guide doesn't make the same statement. Might be worth having a look at the release notes.

Jon

Jon,

Thanks for that reply too, i had read the guides today but only for the version of software we are running, it gave me no clue PVST wasn't in LANBASE, i have looked at the version you suggested and can see the statement about it not being present.

Cheers

Chris

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card