Best CCNA Exam Sim

Answered Question
Feb 25th, 2010

Hi everybody,

I actually posted the statement below as a reply to a previous comment about CCNA Exam sims, but I thought it was important enough to just create a new main topic for it.

When studying for my CCNA, I used the exam simulator from MyPowerPass.  I personally think this is the best simulator out there for the money (full version is like 20 dollars, or you can use their demo for free).  They give you over 300 questions, and I found the material to be pretty accurate compared to the material I was actually tested on during my Cisco CCNA exam.  

Anyways, this is what I posted as my response to a different forum, and just wanted to share with everybody...

"I also used the MyPowerPass exam sim for my CCNA studies, and agree that it helped tremendously.  I felt that a lot of the questions on my CCNA exam were really similar to the MyPowerPass sim questions.  And, you really can't beat that price.  For all those who are planning to use this sim, try the promo code "Intelligence".  That code worked for me a few months ago."

Good luck to all those studying!

Sam

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Correct Answer by CiscoWorkzz about 6 years 10 months ago

There is actually a better promo code available. 

Use the promo code ("Knowledge").  It will give you 10% off the MyPowerPass sim.

Overall Rating: 5 (6 ratings)
CiscoWorkzz Thu, 02/25/2010 - 16:14

Thanks for the follow up, and for posting the promo code.  I know I had used a promo code when I purchased this exact same simulator before, but could not remember what it was for the life of me, haha.

Cheers.

Mark

Correct Answer
CiscoWorkzz Mon, 03/01/2010 - 08:47

There is actually a better promo code available. 

Use the promo code ("Knowledge").  It will give you 10% off the MyPowerPass sim.

Sportster54 Mon, 03/08/2010 - 10:10

Thanks for the tip on this sim, I just bought the full version and it looks really good.

Sportster54

Sportster54 Tue, 03/16/2010 - 07:10

Hi guys,

I passed my CCNA yesterday, with about 10 minutes to spare.  Just wanted to say thanks for the advice on the MyPowerPass question simulator.  I used it the week before my exam, and their practice questions were pretty accurate in terms of test content to the real exam questions.

Best of luck!

burleyman Tue, 03/16/2010 - 08:26

Just for your information the site you have used may be a braindump site and maybe cheating. The website Certguard.com is looking into this site for that reason. Beware that Cisco will decertify people who have cheated on exams with braindump sites like this. I would not recommend others to this site until it is verified. There are far better ways to learn than to memorize questions and sit for an exam.

Mike

Sportster54 Tue, 03/16/2010 - 15:27

Mike,

I appreciate your comment, and I do totally agree that the "illegal memorization of copyrighted exam questions" is wrong (direct definition of a braindump).

That being said, the questions offered by the MyPowerPass simulator are created by MyPowerPass, not by Cisco or by anyone else.  It directly states this on their website (http://www.mypowerpass.com/info.aspx).  They are not a braindump site, and that is why after careful consideration I chose their product, and I'm glad I did.

For me these questions allowed me to prepare for taking the exam in a timed environment, not by memorizing the questions.  The questions on the MyPowerPass sim resembled those on the actual CCNA, but of course they were not literally the same questions because they are not illegally using Cisco's copyrighted questions. And that is exactly what a good simulator should do:  It should "simulate" the real exam, in terms of problem solving, content, and feel, while not using copyrighted questions.  I think all too often people get mixed up into believing that reading a study guide or simulator that contains "Cisco-like" questions is cheating, however this is by definition incorrect.  This is even stated on certguards own website.

Also, I would be cautious about anything certguard says.  While their cause seems noble, I have never seen anything that officially associates them with Cisco, and I have seen numerous negative articles online about how unprofessional they are.  Just type "certguard" into google and try to count the number of negative reviews about suspicous motives.  I've read lots of claims that certguard is "only in it for the money", and that their so-called approved sites are actually braindumps themselves.  I'm not saying this is true, just that there are a lot of people who believe it is.  Actually, certguard is currently in the process of shutting down operation (according to their own website).

Regardless, I chose MyPowerPass because it does not use illegal or copyrighted material.  I recommend it to those who are interested in abiding by the rules.

burleyman Wed, 03/17/2010 - 05:29

Rayid,

I just did some research on certguard and I did see some things that do call them to task. I also want to make sure of something, I am not saying you cheated and I do apologize if it came across that way. Usually when someone says things like the questions were "similar" but not "exact" that sometimes points to a braindump. Also just because the questions were "similar" but not "exact" does not mean the site is legitimate it can still be a braindump. I have steered clear of these things and only go with Cisco material and online classes and of course lab work.

Again, I did not mean to insinuate anything and congrats on your passing.

Mike

Sportster54 Wed, 03/17/2010 - 10:48

Mike,

No worries, I know you had good intentions and were not insinuating anything negative.

Thanks for the congratulations on passing!

Rayid

I have used MyPowerPass before and while it is 1/5th the price of the 100USD BOSON product it is also 1/5 as good IMO.  Boson provides significant detail in their answers during study mode and for people who are trying to grasp a solid base for moving on into other cisco certificates I think that it is important.  MyPowerPass is good for those who want a quick exam to see if they are ready, like a benchmark tool, for the real CCNA exam, but not so much as a tool for preparing.

For preparing for the CCNA I would recommend combining the cisco press library book (http://www.amazon.com/Official-Certification-Library-640-802-Containing/dp/1587201836/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1270229889&sr=8-2 ) and the BOSON CCNA Exam Sim (http://www.boson.com/Product/640-802-cisco-ccna-practice-exam.html )

If you go thru the book and the 6 exams successfully you will pass the exam.  The alternative is a class and in comparision this is alot cheaper.

spitzer4343 Fri, 04/02/2010 - 13:18

It's important to read and understand Cisco (or Lammle, etc) books, and do hardware labs or hardware simulators to soundly learn the material.  But after you learn the material and think you might be ready to attempt the CCNA exam, that is where I found the MyPowerPass sim to be very beneficial.

I think the MyPowerPass simulator does exactly what it is intended to do:  To test your technical knowledge to see if you are prepared well enough to do well on your CCNA exam.  I don't think its purpose is to serve as a primary learning aid for your CCNA studies, but rather to test if you understand the topics well enough.

I agree that Boson is a good product, plus the CiscoPress books are definately good as well.  I actually used the Boson sim with Lammles book for my CCNA studies, and I have had good experiences with the CiscoPress books during my CCNP studies.

I feel the MyPowerPass practice exams are a great way to allow students to get a feel for what they are about to encounter, and to let them know if they need to study harder before sitting in for the real thing.  As far as the cost, they could actually charge a good deal more, I looked at other places that were charging a lot more for their level of quality practice questions.  I say this based on my tiresome experiences of trying to find a solid and abundant source of free CCNA questions that were not error-prone.  Thats why I finally spent the money on the MyPowerPass sim.  I thought their questions were an accurate representation of what to expect on my CCNA exam.  It was also nice how their sim times you because I do not generally do well in timed environments, and after doing the timed practice exams I felt more relaxed while taking my actual exam.

But I do agree, this should not be used as a primary means of preparing for your exam, but rather should be used for testing your readiness and for getting your mind in "test taking mode".

Great posts by the way!

aweise Mon, 04/05/2010 - 06:08

Ryan,

Is the exam cert library the most recent one? That book was published in 2008 and I've been looking for an updated edition. Cisco Press has the exam cert library that was published in 2007, but the simulater edition (much more expensive) is more recent (December, 2009).

Here is the cisco press page for their current resources for CCNA:

http://www.ciscopress.com/markets/detail.asp?st=44711

As far as cisco press is concerned this is the most recent book: (i just put amazon because they are so much cheeper than the cisco press site)

http://www.ciscopress.com/bookstore/product.asp?isbn=1587054647

I do believe your not gonna get a new cisco press book until they update the test and the new-ish CCDE and revamp of the CCNP are probabally keeping cisco busy right now.

Only warning I should give about the cisco press book, or this specific one, is that the test sim they include is not reliable.  While it uses the Boson engine the test exam content is not accrurate, a little irony since its from cisco and the official self study material.  Which is why I wouldn't recommend using the cisco press test prep inside, but the book content is just as good as ever.

henosay45 Thu, 04/15/2010 - 10:25

Let's cut to the chase:  With Boson you are paying $119 for CCNA practice exams composed of questions, answers, and explanations.  Then there is mypowerpass, which has the same quality of questions and answers, and perhaps offers a tad less detail about their explanations.  Then consider that mypowerpass is UNDER $20.  I've also used both, and if I could magically go back in time I would save my money and not buy boson, I'd only go with the mypowerpass purchase.  Regarding the "extra detail" that Boson gives you in study mode: if you are using practice exams in the first place, then you already have the fundamentals down, so why would you spend an extra $100 or so on reading over explanations that explain the stuff you already learned through your Cisco books?  Plus, the mypowerpass sim lets you time your exams, and (from what I remember) Boson does not.  To me this does not even come close to comparing, go with mypowerpass.

I am not sure what used to be, but as far as I can remember Boson has allowed for 2 testing modes.  Study and Simulation.  Simulation is times and study is not.

What your paying 80$ more for is the Boson Study mode and end exam break down.

The Study mode allows for people to quickly access resources and explainations for the questions a person is having trouble with.

The Exam break down helps identify the "types" of questions that you are missing.

I agree that if a person is ready to pass the real CCNA exam that the 20USD for mypowerpass is a much better purchase, but if a person is ready to pass the exam then they are really just using mypowerpass to raise their confidence.

Most people who are still working on the fundamentals or who have already failed the CCNA the extra money for Boson pays for itself by helping people identify what they need to work on and then providing resources to address those types of questions.

I believe that it really boils down to how ready a person is at the time they start looking at these types of products.  The more ready you are when you reach this point the less you need the product to do, and thus the price difference between the two is greatly different.  The cost may also be a factor that prohibits someone from using boson products and in fairness the additional content they provide is available for free by cisco, but at the price that the tester has to go and find these resources themself.

Even though I am well above the CCNA testing level I still would and do use the Boson testing products because of these extra features.  For me the time saved looking up the referenace material to better understand why I got a question wrong is well worth the extra money.

henosay45 Thu, 04/15/2010 - 12:42

Ryan,

I understand where you are coming from, and to each his own.  However, paying the additional $80 for the boson simulator just does not seem worth it to me when comparing it to mypowerpass.  Oh well, like I said, to each his own.  Good discussion, and best of luck to you.

Baylor

RonMecca1 Sat, 01/08/2011 - 22:35

So I purchased mypowerpass this week for my final prep work before my CCNA exam Monday. I was unsure if it was legit and not a braindump so I contacted the vendor and was assured it was not a braindump. Now I stumble on this thread and find out it is flagged by Certgaurd. I'm a little fustrated I wanted an alternative to Boson package because of the price I went with mypowerpass. I have completed the cisco netacadamy, read Todd Lammle Cybex book,read ICND1 and 2 books and in no way want to be known as a cheater. It is hard to find real practice questions to gage your readyness for the exam. Does anyone have a "LEGIT" cheap company to get practice questions from?

Update: 1/10/2011

Took my exam this morning and passed on my first try. I wil say I did not see a single question that were even remotly worded the same as the ones I found on mypowerpass. Makes me question the validity of Certgaurd. But thats my two sense. Time to bask in the glory of my CCNA cert.

Cheers

Actions

This Discussion