cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to create a voicemail that other users can use to forward their phones to?

Hi,

In our voicemail installation "Cisco Unity 4.2 Build 4.2(1)", it is possible to create a new subscriber, so the profile user can receive voicemail messages or can administrate welcome greetings.

If I choose the "Alternate Extensions", I can add extensions on other user/numbers that can use this voicemail, so the can forward their own phone to this voicemail on the subscriber phone number.

I do not fully understand how this works, because I do not know whether the subscriber phone number has to be forwarded to voicemail or if it is enought that the phone not is taken?

Is there any where that I can read some examples on how this setup can be made? I have some users that have a very complex setup, including some users/numbers not stading on the "Alternate Extensions" on the number they forward their own phone to, and sometimes this works and others times it do not work... I would appreciate it if I could read some examples on whether it does not work because of a faulty setup, or if it is some other setting that are missing.

Kind regards,

Carl-Marius

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Carl-Marius,

If you look in CUCM Admin there is an area called Voicemail Profile. This area allows you to configure a Profile that points to a specific DN/Voicemail Box. When you apply this Profile to any other DN's any call that forwards to the Voicemail System from these DN's will be directed to the specified Voicemail. The Forward can be via CFWDALL,CFNoAnswer or CFBusy as long as it gets to the VM Pilot#. Unity will match the profile and route the call to the proper mailbox.

For example: you want all calls that go to DN's 3333,3444 and 3555 to go to the Admin mailbox. This "Admin" mailbox is on DN 3700.

You would create a Profile in CCM called "Admin Info" which points to DN 3700. Apply this profile to 3333,3444 and 3555 and when calls route through these numbers to voicemail they will recieve the Sales Info 3700 Greeting etc.

This "new" profile will then be applied to the phones that you want to be able to forward to this Admin number (Under>Device>Phone>Directory Number>Voicemail Profile)

**You can also use Alternate extensions as you nicely noted but the only drawback is that there can be a Max of 9 Alt.Extensions. Sometimes we need more than that.

Hope this makes sense!
Rob

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Carl-Marius,

If you look in CUCM Admin there is an area called Voicemail Profile. This area allows you to configure a Profile that points to a specific DN/Voicemail Box. When you apply this Profile to any other DN's any call that forwards to the Voicemail System from these DN's will be directed to the specified Voicemail. The Forward can be via CFWDALL,CFNoAnswer or CFBusy as long as it gets to the VM Pilot#. Unity will match the profile and route the call to the proper mailbox.

For example: you want all calls that go to DN's 3333,3444 and 3555 to go to the Admin mailbox. This "Admin" mailbox is on DN 3700.

You would create a Profile in CCM called "Admin Info" which points to DN 3700. Apply this profile to 3333,3444 and 3555 and when calls route through these numbers to voicemail they will recieve the Sales Info 3700 Greeting etc.

This "new" profile will then be applied to the phones that you want to be able to forward to this Admin number (Under>Device>Phone>Directory Number>Voicemail Profile)

**You can also use Alternate extensions as you nicely noted but the only drawback is that there can be a Max of 9 Alt.Extensions. Sometimes we need more than that.

Hope this makes sense!
Rob

Hi Rob,

It makes sense, it is just not in the CUCM Admin that we make voicemail configuration, it is in the "Cisco Unity 4.2 Build 4.2(1)" we do this.

I only have one profile under the "Voice mail Profile" and this is the one that every users use, when they have a voicemail.

So in my current environment, users can only have 9 other phones attached to their voicemail and these 9 phone numbers have to be added in the "Alternate Extensions", as I understand it.

Thank you for your answer! - It is beginning to make some sense after all.

Kind regards,

Carl-Marius

Hi Carl-Marius,

You are most welcome my friend

Just an FYI - you can have many Voicemail profiles created in CUCM

admin. You have the main/standard profile that you are referring to, but

you can also create these type of "secondary" profiles to accomplish

special functionality like the one you want here. Try a test using the methods

listed in my first post. You will be surprised to see how well this works.

We have "special" profiles setup for faculty who don't want/need an actual

VM account, but,instead want their missed calls to go to an Admin for the

whole group.

Cheers!

Rob