Views
Helpful
Replies

Tracking registered/unregistered phones via SNMP

Greg Dickinson
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I've got a UCM 7.1.2 system that I'm trying to monitor via SNMP.  I'm trying to track the number of registered phones vs. configured phones - so far my first hurdle is trying to get the number of registered phones from the system.  According to all the MIBs I can find this is the OID I should use for this:

"ccmRegisteredPhones"        "1.3.6.1.4.1.9.9.156.1.5.5"

However if I plug that OID into SNMPGET it tellsm me "No Such Instance currently exists at this OID".  I know I've got SNMP configured correctly because I'm able to pull other basic stats like location, CPU %, Disk Space, etc...  Any ideas how I can get this info via SNMP?

Thanks,

--Greg

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Actually, I believe in RTMT (real time monitoring Tool) you should be able to setup SMTP alert for when devices become unregistered.  CUCM does alert this in RTMT or log files when a number of devices become unregistered.  You can set this up to email you when this happens. (MGCP gateways, phones, etc)

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Tommer Catlin
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Its a little tricky.  I think the best way to look at is to use SOAP/AXL and access the CM Database to find your registered phones.   If a phone unregistered from CUCM it will not produce an SNMP trap.  If the phone was physically unplugged from the switch (cisco switch) it should produce an alarm in POE and also an alert in the logs that device xxx was either plugged in port xx/xx etc.

Im guessing you would have to query the switch similar to how CER does it.  It will pull the info of the device plugged into x port on the switch.  Thats about all you will get it.  CER then pulls the device information from CallManager via AXL into its own database and "links" the SNMP info to the AXL info for a location based information about the device.

If its mission critical to know if a phone is unplugged, you might be able to contact someone like LiteScape to develop some kind of monitoring software platform for you. I know in the past I started to work on this with them, but never got around to finishing it.  The customer had unreal expetations on how it should work. (go figure)

Wow, you're getting way over what I'm trying to accomplish :-)  I'm not after real-time notification of unregistered phones (with over 20,000 handsets in the company that might drive us all a little [more] batty...) but more of a trend.  It also helps to know that we suddenly had 750 phones unreigster from the Central Cluster.  I tried the AXL toolkit but I couldn't find the exact query to returned number of configured phones or number of registered phones.  I think if I could do that, it would give me better results as I would imagine the AXL "reply" would give me the total number of phones in the DB, whereas SNMP would probably only give me the number of phones on that publisher/subscriber.

Actually, I believe in RTMT (real time monitoring Tool) you should be able to setup SMTP alert for when devices become unregistered.  CUCM does alert this in RTMT or log files when a number of devices become unregistered.  You can set this up to email you when this happens. (MGCP gateways, phones, etc)

Hello Greg,

The above poster is correct if are just wanting to alert when a large number of phones unregister this can be found in RTMT under alert central - Callmanager. The alert name is NumberOfRegisteredPhonesDropped. You can set this to a threshold for a percentage of phones on the cluster drops.

The alert can then be emailed to a list you define provided the email server in alert central is defined.

Yep, that's exactly what I was after!   Thanks for the help everyone.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: