Alert in Critical Message Window

dmistry21
Level 1
Level 1

Hello there

We currently have alerts coming up in the LMS portal stating:

CiscoWorks Folder Utilization is 82%
Processes DFMCTMStartup, DataPurge are down 
Log files ESS.log, CVDeviceSelector.log.*, jrm.log exceeded the recommended size limit

I understand that its quite normal for Processes DFMCTMStartup, DataPurge to be down if they're not called upon.  I've used logrot to configure our syslog which works fine and know I can use this for the above log files as well but these log files are no larger than 20mb at the biggest.  Our Log directory is currently only about 870mb.

Our disk size is 68gb with about 12gb free.  Is there a recommended size for the Ciscoworks folder and is this likely to cause any performance issues ?  Also will I always see an alert in the Critical Message Window for DFMCTMStartup, DataPurge ?

Many Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

No, there is no way to get rid of this.  But DFMCTMStartup and DataPurge are pseudo-transient processes.  They could be running under normal operation, but most times, users will see these down, and that is nothing to worry about.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Martin Ermel
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

the following setting should help:
to adopt the recommended file size for your log files you have to change the values in NMSROOT/conf/logstat.conf.
to adjust the diskwatcher message you can change the settings in
CS > Server > Admin > DiskWatcher Configuration
I do not know a way to get rid the process messages.

Thanks for the response.

I can see how and where they can be amended now.  Is there a recommendation that Cisco make for these file sizes and Disk Utilization.

My main concern was at 82% it may cause an issue as it appeared in the critical message window but obviously this can be adjusted.  Is there a rule of thumb for the recommended file sizes as don't want to set ridiculously high thresholds if it has knock-on effects. 

Many Thanks

I typically use 1 MB per log file as a max size.  That is usually fine unless debugging is required.

No, there is no way to get rid of this.  But DFMCTMStartup and DataPurge are pseudo-transient processes.  They could be running under normal operation, but most times, users will see these down, and that is nothing to worry about.

Many Thanks.

I'll put in logrot for the logiles to a similar threshold.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: