Views
Helpful
Replies

Question with H-Reap

Jason Bree
Level 1
Level 1

When H-REAP is enabled would the client pull

an IP from the local switch vlan dhcp pool or would they pull from the ap vlan group dhcp pool?

Thanks

Jason

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Kayle Miller
Level 7
Level 7

Jason,

If you have the AP configured for H-REAP mode and have enabled VLAN support and then configured the Local VLAN's for each of the SSID's that you want H-REAP then when the client connects they will get an address from the local switch port pool or from what ever local dhcp server you have there.

Hope this helps. please feel free to rate and this answer.

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

When HREAP is enabled and the WLC's go off-line, the clients will get the IP address of the local subnet.

If you find my post helpful, please do not hesistate to rate.  Thank you very much.

yes but what about when the wlc is up?

We have a situation where we want user traffic to drop off at the remote site and need the user to have an IP on that segment.

Kayle Miller
Level 7
Level 7

Jason,

If you have the AP configured for H-REAP mode and have enabled VLAN support and then configured the Local VLAN's for each of the SSID's that you want H-REAP then when the client connects they will get an address from the local switch port pool or from what ever local dhcp server you have there.

Hope this helps. please feel free to rate and this answer.

Kayle is correct. 5'd.

You will want to configure 'H-REAP Local Switching'. The following document should help, Jason. http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/controller/6.0/configuration/guide/c60hreap.html#wp1105662

-Matt

Thanks,  I have gotten it working on a test AP in the main office.  One more question:  I have the switch port trunked with the LWAPP vlan 118 and the local data vlan 112.  The AP should have gotten a 10.1.18.X address with users getting a 10.1.12.x address.  The AP is getting an address from the user vlan instead of the AP vlan.  The client machine got a 10.1.12.x address but so did the AP.  I have vlan 112 set as the native vlan.  Should it be 118 instead?. Also since switching the AP to HREAP I am unable to configure it from WCS and have to config it from the controller.  In the WCS I get the following when trying to config the AP:

Error(s): You must correct the following errors before proceeding:

Error:Common-1: some unexpected internal error has occurred.  if the problem persists please report to the Tech Support.

I have rebooted the AP and it still happens.  Anyone else seen this?

Thanks for all the help

Jason

Kayle Miller
Level 7
Level 7

Jason,

Without knowing exactly what you have setup/configured it's hard to pin-point your exact issue, but here are some things to check:

• Make Sure that VLANs are enabled on H-REAP AP
  • Make Sure you have the Native VLAN set correctly
  • Make Sure the Local VLANS are configure for each SSID
  • Make sure the switch port is set to trunk with a Native VLAN that makes the native VLAN configured on the AP.

See an example below to configure it all from the CLI.

Network Information

VLAN 400 -- 192.168.40.0/24  -- Access Point VLAN
VLAN 120 -- 192.168.120.0/24  -- User Voice VLAN
VLAN 220 -- 192.168.220.0/24  -- User Data VLAN

DHCP Server -- 192.168.99.213

Voice SSID is WLAN 1
Data SSID is WLAN 2

AP Name -- Test_AP
AP Eth Mac Address -- 00:11:22:33:44:55

Sample Switch Configuration

Int vlan 400
ip address 192.168.40.2 255.255.255.0
ip helper-address 192.168.99.213

Int vlan 120
ip address 192.168.120.2 255.255.255.0

Int vlan 220
ip address 192.168.220.2 255.255.255.0

int Gig 7/33     
description Test_AP
switchport trunk native vlan 400
switchport trunk allowed vlan 120, 220 ,400
switchport mode trunk
spanning-tree portfast
spanning-tree bpduguard enable

CLI Commands to Configure H-REAP

config ap disable Test_AP  
config ap mode h-reap Test_AP
config ap h-reap vlan enable Test_AP
config ap h-reap vlan native 400 Test_AP
config ap h-reap vlan wlan 1 120 Test_AP     
config ap h-reap vlan wlan 2 220 Test_AP     
config ap enable Test_AP    

I just did this exact routine on several hundred AP's over the last few months..

Hope this helps you out... Feel free to rate my answer.

Thanks,

Kayle

Kayle,

Got it working.  The native vlan had to be set to the LWAPP vlan and the user vlans set of the ssid I wanted locally switched.

Thanks for you help.

Jason

Jason,

No porblem, it's how we all learn and get through issues is to help each other and share knowledge. Gald I could help.

Thanks,

Kayle

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: