Views
Helpful
Replies

Scheduling a wr command on switch

gshamlian
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

We've recently implemented port security on our switches and it seems to be working quite well.  The problem is that some branches figured out that if they reboot the switch, the ports that were disabled due to port security are re-enabled since the wr command wasn't issued since the MAC addresses were saved to the ports.  I was hoping to find a way to force a write config on the switches once or twice a day without having to physically connect to our several hundred switches, but can't seem to find anything through the IOS.  Am I missing something or could there be something else that I could try so that MACs stick around even after a reboot?

Thanks for your time.

4 Replies 4

Lei Tian
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

You can use "KRON", aka Command Scheduler to build your command, and make it run on regularly.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/netmgmt/configuration/guide/nm_cns_services_ps6922_TSD_Products_Configuration_Guide_Chapter.html#wp1079167

HTH,

Lei Tian

Thanks for the quick response.  Looks like the Command Scheduler is a feature that was added to the 12.3 IOS.  Unfortunately, we have 3550s throughout the company that only support 12.2, so it looks like we just missed it.  We are looking to upgrade soon, so I'll look into KRON at that time.  If I'm lucky, maybe they will let me play with a new switch before we configure it and put it into the field.

Thanks again!

You wellcome.

Actually my 3550 is running 12.2(25)SEE4, and it has KRON.

HTH,

Lei Tian

You're exactly right.  All of our 3550s are running 12.2(44)SE6.  When I did a search for the Command Scheduler everything said it was released with IOS 12.3 so I figured we were out of luck.  I just jumped onto one of our switches and entered config mode, hit '?' and lo and behold, there's kron.  I'll have to play around with that this weekend.  Thanks so much!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card