IPCCX 7: Reading document

Answered Question
Feb 26th, 2010

I got a request to build a script to dip into a file each time to playback the text (using TTS which they have) within that file. This is for job postings. I know one way is to have the user update XML files with the new text. However, I'm trying to find out if there's other better and cleaner ways to do this. Can this be done by using HTTP or some other way?

Correct Answer by Anthony Holloway about 6 years 11 months ago

So you have two major options to consider then:

1. Store the resulting XML document in the document repository

2. Store the resulting XML document off box

There are pros and cons with each.

#1 Pros:

Local, replicated, backed up

#1 Cons:

Admin permissions, local, cumbersome to build UI

#2 Pros:

Universal, easier UI build, granular access control

#2 Cons:

Off box

I would lean more towards solution #2, and have your web team (or yourself) build a simple HTML form that allows them to view, and modify job postings via a web interface.

UCCX supports a very simple URL document scheme which allows you to do things like this:

xml = create xml document(url[http://intranet/jobs/postings/?xml])
Overall Rating: 5 (1 ratings)
Anthony Holloway Fri, 02/26/2010 - 15:22

Well XML is the data format, and HTTP is the transport mechanism....so...it's not one or the other.

You will need to decide on the file format independantly of how you plan to retrieve the file.

Your options for file format are unlimited, because you technically can come up with your own.

The retreival process is a little more confined, and more specifically limited to what your licensed for:

Document Repository is available in Standard and up

HTTP GET is available in Enhanced and up

ODBC is available in Premium and up...oh wait, that's the ceiling.  =)

Custom sockets via Java programming is available in Premium  (e.g., come up with your own client/server communications model)

If this is to read back job postings, I think your first question to answer is:  Where is the data at today, and how can I access it?

SAN J Tue, 03/02/2010 - 12:02

Anthony,

Thanks for your response. Customer doesn't particularly have the data stored in any database. We have a script built for them previously that let's them call in and record the job postings. Given the increase in job postings as well as the frequency of the changes, this has become unmanageable. They basically want a way to copy and paste job descriptions that IPCCX will read back through TTS (which they have already). If they  were given a basic web page to enter this text into, how would one script this in IPCCX to pull that info? Can you kindly provide some general steps for doing this? Many thanks.

Correct Answer
Anthony Holloway Wed, 03/03/2010 - 09:20

So you have two major options to consider then:

1. Store the resulting XML document in the document repository

2. Store the resulting XML document off box

There are pros and cons with each.

#1 Pros:

Local, replicated, backed up

#1 Cons:

Admin permissions, local, cumbersome to build UI

#2 Pros:

Universal, easier UI build, granular access control

#2 Cons:

Off box

I would lean more towards solution #2, and have your web team (or yourself) build a simple HTML form that allows them to view, and modify job postings via a web interface.

UCCX supports a very simple URL document scheme which allows you to do things like this:

xml = create xml document(url[http://intranet/jobs/postings/?xml])
SAN J Wed, 03/03/2010 - 18:51

Anthony,

This is what I was looking for. #2 will work best for our customer. Many thanks for the clarification and direction...

Anthony Holloway Wed, 03/03/2010 - 19:50

You're very welcome.  Don't hesitate to post back, with more specifics once you get the project underway.

Actions

This Discussion