Views
Helpful
Replies

Transfer all unknown email receipients to a user

mdube
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

We've had some major Exchange issue and needed to start from scratch (yeah I know...)

Anyway, since I don't have all the email addresses that were previously configured in the dead Exchange server, I was wondering if I could transfer all the unknown email receipients to my email address with the Cisco Spam Blocker. Right now, if I check in the Message Tracking utility, I see that some receipients get the following message : Receiving aborted by sender "Receiving aborted by sender " but I know it's because they are sending to an invalid email address.

If I could receive all those emails, I would be able to monitor which emails are still missing and would recreate them in Exchange after..

Thanks for your help!

Matt

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

dzavasni
Level 1
Level 1

The blocker is simply attempting to deliver based on what the email headers tell it to deliver to. Since these emails are awaiting delivery to the exchange, they are simply held on the blocker until it can pass off to the exchange. That said I do not believe there is a way to modify those emails so they are delivered to a different recipient. I would say the next best bet is to look through your message tracking and keep an eye  on the "TO:" field and see if you see addresses that are not in your list.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

dzavasni
Level 1
Level 1

The blocker is simply attempting to deliver based on what the email headers tell it to deliver to. Since these emails are awaiting delivery to the exchange, they are simply held on the blocker until it can pass off to the exchange. That said I do not believe there is a way to modify those emails so they are delivered to a different recipient. I would say the next best bet is to look through your message tracking and keep an eye  on the "TO:" field and see if you see addresses that are not in your list.

Allright, that's what I was already doing and you just confirmed what I was thinking on how the blocker works.

Thank you!

robertblasey
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Matt -

I am probaby a little late - but still aI have an idea:

1) Disable AD/LDAP Query on your Blocker so all Emails are forwarded to your exchange
2) Configure a Catch-All Mailbox on your Exchange http://www.petri.co.il/setting-up-a-catchall-mailbox-in-exchange-2007.htm
3) Check that Mailbox

Regards
Robert

Hello Robert,

What can I say... The solution was indeed so simple that I couldn't see it

We manage to find all the email addresses we needed by monitoring the device, but your idea would have made it so much simpler...

I'll remember this if I ever come across a similar situation.

Thanks again Robert for your great input

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: