AP1252 Distance Coverage

Unanswered Question

Hi,

I have a client wanting to have wireless both in the one office building and out in the yard for voice and data. Looking at the 1252 and the option of different antennas I had a couple of questions;

Can I run one ANT2506 on one connector outside to the roof or the building and two rubber ducks for inside use? (I know no diversity, but that's OK)

Any guestimate of the distance and speeds I could get from th ant2506 on a mast mount at about 15ft. (This is one building in the middle of an open area) I would like to get about 300 ft at at least 54Mbps - I know there are a lot of variables, but a worst case guess is fine.

What kind of distance would the AP1252  get with just the rubber duck antennas if it was in the middle of a field?

Thanks in advance,

Bob

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
Leo Laohoo Sat, 02/27/2010 - 15:47

One 1250 with rubber ducks (presume you operate both radios and full 20.0w power) for 300 feet (or <100 metres) for 54 mbps?  I don't think so.

I'm no authority on radio and range but without a wireless site survey, my rule of thumb is 40 metres (>120 feet) circumference of the AP at 3.3 metres (approximately 10 feet) from the ground.  If you want to consider boosting the range of the signal all the way up, I believe you could be looking at a wi-fi booster.

Leo Laohoo Sat, 02/27/2010 - 16:25

One Disco-stick (aka mast-mounted antennas) might be stronger than the rubber ducks/duckies but it still won't extend to 300 ft and at 54 mbps speed.

Have a simple wireless site surver done just to be certain.

That's kind of surprising, Cisco claims good distance with their consumer grade product and a 9dbi High gain ( and yes I understand this would be a perfect scenario):

Maximum outdoor range:* 120 m (0.078 mi) at 54 Mbps, 880 m (0.55 mi) at 11 Mbps
*Range estimation is based on 1 Cisco WAP200E Access Point with Cisco HGA9N antenna connecting to wireless client with 0-dBi antenna under ideal line-of-sight conditions

I think for my distance which is closer to 200 ft. I should be fine, I was just looking for some input so I won't have to start with a point to point bridge right off the bat.

Cheers

Actions

This Discussion