cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

2106 Controller - Why only two PoE ports?

bjames
Level 5
Level 5

Hi,

I am trying to build a solution for an SMB with mutliple access points for an indoor and outdoor solution (with Antennas), and looking for a cost effective controller. Looking at the 2106 I was wondering why only two PoE ports? Wouldn't it make sense to make them all PoE so you can power all AP's?

Thanks in advance,

Bob James

PS Let me also ask, how do you support 802.11n with only a 100Mbps Ethernet port?

5 Replies 5

Christian Isla
Level 1
Level 1

Then you would be installing all 6-7 AP's in about a 250ft radius.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

PS Let me also ask, how do you support 802.11n with only a 100Mbps Ethernet port?

You don't.   2100 wasn't meant to support Gig interface of the AP.  It was meant to be for testing and toying around.  It was also meant to support 1130/1240 and older.

Looking at the 2106 I was wondering why only two PoE ports?

Because it was plainly meant for testing purposes only.

Thanks for the ratings.

Not sure if you are trying to be funny, or that was a serious answer.

Most competitors have all PoE ports, and I'm not saying I want to use them all, just thought it makes sense. As well, with the introduction of the new C series switches that can be run over PoE, just seems logical.

And as for the question or 100M interfaces, even if you want to run 1 AP off the WLC, 100M for the newer AP's is a bottleneck.

Bob James

Not sure if you are trying to be funny, or that was a serious answer.

I'm trying not to be funny.  I was also trying to be serious but not that serious as to be mis-interpreted as being condescending or disrespectful.

Most competitors have all PoE ports, and I'm not saying I want to use them all, just thought it makes sense. As well, with the introduction of the new C series switches that can be run over PoE, just seems logical.

No arguments there.

And as for the question or 100M interfaces, even if you want to run 1 AP off the WLC, 100M for the newer AP's is a bottleneck.

True.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: