cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SPA525G - save configuration settings in a file (SIP-mode)

klaus.kreil
Level 1
Level 1

I have a number of SPA525G phones in use, all operated in SIP mode, latest firmware 7.4.3.

Looking through all the menues it appears to me that there's no function to store/save/backup (and later restore) the current configuration of the phone in a file (e.g. name, sip credentials, extensions, etc.). This would especially be useful in case one phone needs to be replaced for whatever reason.

Am I missing something or is this functionality simple not available? If it is missing are there any other options to achive the desired result?

Regards,

Klaus

11 Replies 11

nseto
Level 6
Level 6

You can do a simple html file save, for example, using IE, do a File/Save As and save as html file.  Be sure to log in as admin/advanced to save everything.

Or you can send a 'SIP notify - report' to the unit.  You'll need to populate the Report Rule located in the provisioning tab with the location where you want the report file saved to.

Hi nseto,

thanks for your answer. I'd however like to understand your reply a bit more. To me your suggestions looks like a printout of the configuration file - albeit into a file. Over and above this, your simple printout-approach requires a number of save operations into various files as there are many individual configuration screens (i.e. html pages) on a SPA525G (5 for the 5 line buttons, WiFi, Bluetooth, SIP, etc.) - so quiet a tedious task.

Furthermore, in order to be able to "restore" any such "saved" configuration(s) - and tha's the main point - that's no help at all. Or am I missing something?

My idea would be to have a "save configuration" button which stores the *full* configuration of the phone in a file (ideally in a user readable form to be able to manually edit certain parameters) and a "load/restore configuration" button which allows the administrator to be able to load the *full* saved configuration back into the same (or a replacement) phone unit. This not only makes replacements much easier but also allows to populate standard parameters (i.e. a standard configuration) easily to a phone and then only change the unit specific parameters (like extension numbers) per phone.

To me your answer indicates that there's no such functionality available which in my humble opinion is a major shortfall for any professional kit. Any cheap SOHO router provides this functionality and those usually have much less parameters to set.

If this is currently not available (which I fear) are there any future plans to add such important functionality?

Thanks and best regards,

Klaus

Actually it would save all the tabs when doing the one file/save as.

Anyway, if you want it in a regular file format so that you can edit it easily, do the 2nd suggestion that I had mentioned regarding sending the unit a 'SIP Notify - report' and populating the report rule with the location where you want the unit to send it's config to.  This info regarding report rule is in the admin guide.

Thanks nseto.

You are right, all the information is stored in a (quiet sizeable) single html-file (around 330k). But I have no idea how I could upload any such saved configuration file onto another phone (obviously same model). Could you please elaborate on that as otherwise just being able to store the information isn't particularily useful.

Also I did have a look in the admin guide - there two different ones: "Administration Guide Cisco SPA and Wireless IP Phone" [OL-18209-02], "Administration Guide Cisco Small Business Pro" [OL-19749-02] - but I could not find any useful information about the report rule that you mentioned. Could you please point me towards the right document or (ideally) provide an example how that would work.

Thanks and regards,

Klaus

The SPA provides a mechanism for reporting its current internal configuration to the provisioning server. This is useful for development and debugging. The report syntax is similar to the XML profile. All provisionable parameters are included, except for the values of passwords, keys, and the GPP_SA to GPP_SD parameters, which are not shown.
The Report_Rule parameter is evaluated like a profile rule parameter. In other words, it accepts a URL, optionally qualified with a bracketed expression. The URL specifies the target destination for the report and an encryption key can be included as an option.
The URL scheme can be TFTP, HTTP, or HTTPS. When using TFTP, the operation performed is TFTP PUT. In the case of HTTP and HTTPS, the operation performed is HTTP POST.
If an encryption key is specified, the report is encrypted using 256-bit AES in CBC mode. The encrypted report can be decrypted with the following OpenSSL (or equivalent) command:
openssl enc –d –aes-256-cbc –k secretphrase –in rep.xml.enc –out rep.xml

The following is an example of the corresponding Report_Rule configuration:
[ --key secretphrase ] http://prov.serv.net/spa/$MA/rep.xml.enc
Once the report rule is configured, an actual report can be generated and transmitted by sending the SPA a SIP NOTIFY message, with the Event: report type. The SIP NOTIFY request is handled like other SIP notifies, with the SPA requiring authentication from the requesting server before honoring the request to issue a report. Each SIP NOTIFY report request generates one attempt to transmit the report. Retries are not supported.

----

Regarding the saved htm file, go to

and change it to

http://ip-address-of-unit/admin/asipura.spa method=post>

Then save this htm file and open it with your browser. After you click 'submit all changes', it will update the unit that has the ip address contained in the FORM action.

Hi nseto and thanks again. I am still somehow struggling. I tried your second option with the saved html file as this seemed to be the easier route for the moment. I'll look into the other option when I get some more time.

There's only one FORM action line in my saved html file file which reads

(copy & paste directly from my file)

I have changed that to various options like

(1) http://unit-ip-address/admin/cisco.pap" method="POST">

(2) http://unit-ip-address/admin/advanced/cisco.pap" method="POST">

(3) http://unit-ip-address/admin/asipura.spa" method="POST">

but neither seemed to work as you suggested - there was simply no action when I pressed the "Submit all Changes" button after changing one field (i.e. the SRTP-Method field from "x-sipura" to "s-descriptor" in order to see whether changes are actually transferred).

Any other suggestions that I may follow?

Thanks and best regards,

Klaus

Apparently this option was removed on the 525.

You can look at the current config in xml format and save it by doing the following

http:///admin/spacfg.xml

Save the xml file and when you want to write it back to the phone, just have the phone download that xml file by putting a link to the file in the profile rule.

Hi nseto,

thanks for your continued answers. Two questions remain at my end:

1.) where did you get that path from to request the xml file. I could not any reference in my documentation. Are thera any other documents that teach secrets?

2.) I assume restoring the file requires a tftp server to load the xml file from. Are there any other options like loading the file from a USB stick attached to the phone?

Thansk and regards,

Klaus

That option was given to me by a coworker.  Loading from usb isn't supported at this time.

Save the xml file and when you want to write it back to the phone, just  have the phone download that xml file by putting a link to the file in  the profile rule

Hello nseto,

I can obtain a dump of XML data, however don't fully understand how you put XML data back into the SPA525G.You say put link into profile rule - my current profile rule has this:  /spa$PSN.cfg

The XML file is named:  spacfg.xml

How does the phone suck the XML data into it - do I need a TFTP server (as suggested previously). I'm famililar with Pumpkin, is this a good choice.

Any info appreciated.

Yes, Pumpkin is fine.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: