Views
Helpful
Replies

Accelerator Board Battery Error

17roush
Level 1
Level 1

Hi everyone,

I recently noticed an alert when checking RTMT that the accelerator board battery failed and is now temporarliy disabled.  Has anyone else seen this message before?  And if so, how did you resolve this issue?  I searched the web and saw that I might need a ROM flash upgrade but I could not find anything concrete that says that it would solve my problem.  The server that I have this message on is a Cisco MCS-7835-H1.

Thank you.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

markbatts
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

This is referring to the write-cache on the disk controller.If you have a dead battery you will have write-cache disabled and it will affect performance.

Its a hardware replacement at the end of the day.

See below

Write-Cache

A disabled write-cache on the server also causes the upgrade process to run more slowly. Multiple factors, including dead batteries on older servers, can cause the write-cache to get disabled.

Before starting an upgrade, verify the status of the write-cache on the MCS-7828-H4 and MCS-7835/45 disk controllers. You do not need to verify the write-cache status on the MCS-7816, MCS-7825, or other MCS-7828 servers. To verify write-cache status, access the Cisco Unified Operating System Administration, and choose Show > Hardware.

If you determine that your write-cache is disabled because of a dead battery, you need to replace the hard disk controller cache battery. Follow your local support procedures to get this battery replaced.

See the following examples of output from the Show > Hardware menu for details on determining the battery and write-back cache status.

The following example shows write-cache enabled. The example indicates that 50 percent of the cache is reserved for write and 50 percent of the cache is reserved for read. If the write-cache was disabled, 100 percent of the cache would be reserved for read or the Cache Status would not equal "OK". Also, the battery count equals "1". If the controller battery was dead or missing, it would indicate "0".

cheers

Mark

Please rate useful posts

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

markbatts
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

This is referring to the write-cache on the disk controller.If you have a dead battery you will have write-cache disabled and it will affect performance.

Its a hardware replacement at the end of the day.

See below

Write-Cache

A disabled write-cache on the server also causes the upgrade process to run more slowly. Multiple factors, including dead batteries on older servers, can cause the write-cache to get disabled.

Before starting an upgrade, verify the status of the write-cache on the MCS-7828-H4 and MCS-7835/45 disk controllers. You do not need to verify the write-cache status on the MCS-7816, MCS-7825, or other MCS-7828 servers. To verify write-cache status, access the Cisco Unified Operating System Administration, and choose Show > Hardware.

If you determine that your write-cache is disabled because of a dead battery, you need to replace the hard disk controller cache battery. Follow your local support procedures to get this battery replaced.

See the following examples of output from the Show > Hardware menu for details on determining the battery and write-back cache status.

The following example shows write-cache enabled. The example indicates that 50 percent of the cache is reserved for write and 50 percent of the cache is reserved for read. If the write-cache was disabled, 100 percent of the cache would be reserved for read or the Cache Status would not equal "OK". Also, the battery count equals "1". If the controller battery was dead or missing, it would indicate "0".

cheers

Mark

Please rate useful posts

Mark,

Thanks for the quick reply, is there a way to check this on release 6.1(3)?

Hi,

Just checked on my Callmanager 6.x cluster and its not obvious , looks like this was something that appeared on 7.x and later.

Is your Array Accelerator enabled or disabled?

Mark

Mark,

Says that my Array Accelerator is enabled.  Looked through all the Administration guides and release notes for 6.x that I have, and have not had any luck.

Thanks.

Hey Mark,

I went ahead and called TAC and they are sending me an RMA for a replacement battery.  Thanks again for your help!

I get this same warning about the write cache being disabled on a 8.5 system. Going to Show > Hardware shows

Battery Status: OK

So which should I believe? Is the battery good or bad, or is there another reason the cache is disabled?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: