Views
Helpful
Replies

ACS any Version with Domain Controller on Windows Server 2008 R2 64bit

patoberli
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi All

Is there currently any ACS version working with Windows Server 2008 R2 domain controllers?

Our server stuff has recently upgraded the Domain Controllers to 2008r2 and turned off the 2003 servers. This didn't make our ACS 4.1.4 really happy.

I've read now serveral posts regarding issues with ACS and Server 2008r2 and hope to find a solution (besides switching to LDAP, yukk).

Thanks

pato

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

ACS can not currently be installed on a server running Windows 2008 R2.

As an alternative you can install ACS on a member server.  The authentication

from ACS uses the local machine net APIs so authentication against a 2008

R2 domain will work.  The Remote Agent can also not be installed on a 2008 R2

server if you are running the appliances.

If you install ACS on a member server instead here is how you set up the services

to correctly authenticate with the domain:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/net_mgmt/cisco_secure_access_control_server_for_windows/4.1/installation/guide/windows/postin.html#wp1041304

--Jesse

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Ganesh Hariharan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi All

Is there currently any ACS version working with Windows Server 2008 R2 domain controllers?

Our server stuff has recently upgraded the Domain Controllers to 2008r2 and turned off the 2003 servers. This didn't make our ACS 4.1.4 really happy.

I've read now serveral posts regarding issues with ACS and Server 2008r2 and hope to find a solution (besides switching to LDAP, yukk).

Thanks

pato

Hi Pato,

Just check out the below link hope that help.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/net_mgmt/cisco_secure_access_control_server_for_windows/4.2/release/notes/ACS42_RN.html

As per the link it says The support for Windows Server 2008 is applicable for ACS 4.2 Patch 4 onwards.

Hope to Help !!

Remember to rate the helpful post

Ganesh.H

ACS can not currently be installed on a server running Windows 2008 R2.

As an alternative you can install ACS on a member server.  The authentication

from ACS uses the local machine net APIs so authentication against a 2008

R2 domain will work.  The Remote Agent can also not be installed on a 2008 R2

server if you are running the appliances.

If you install ACS on a member server instead here is how you set up the services

to correctly authenticate with the domain:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/net_mgmt/cisco_secure_access_control_server_for_windows/4.1/installation/guide/windows/postin.html#wp1041304

--Jesse

Hi Jesse

I was testing exactly this today and can confirm this is working

ACS 4.2.1.15.1 is running on a Windows Server 2003 R2 x32 and DCs are Windows Server 2008 R2.

To bad Cisco hasn't written this into their documentation.

Thanks

Patrick

Windows AD 2008 R2 infrastructure is currently not supported on any ACS but I've received the confirmation that this will be implemented in the next release 5.2 planned for August...

Hope this helps...

Can you provide an update to how this is working? Or rather is it still working?

i.e. Windows 200R2 on a Member server..

Thanks!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: