Views
Helpful
Replies

More Multisite Questions and UCC

bjames
Level 5
Level 5

Hi,

I think I understand the parameters surrounding the requirements for multisite now, but as always it spawns more questions;

I am looking at a 560 and a 540 in a multisite configuration, I now know I have to create a VPN tunnel between the two WAN ports for this to work. My questions are as follows:

1. Using the Tail end hop off, if both locations are in the same area code (yet long distance) would the dialing pattern have to inject and "outside line digit" for the calls to go out the other site? Eg. I want to call site B and make a local call in the area, I dial 8-2 for the intersite and selector, but then do I have to add a 9 for an outside line at site B's location; 8-1-9-444-555-1212? Or how is this done with the same area code at site A and B?

2. The client is asking about workers that travel between sites a lot; how are their calls handled, can they use IP communicator or something else to have the phones follow them?

3. In the two site configuration does the CUE IP addressing have to change?

4. Can I use UCC Server and clients and have them communicate with two sites? Eg. Have the server at the main site checking presence, IM, etc. at both sites. or how could I achieve this?

This is all I can think of now, but I know I will have more questions, I have reviewed all the Multisite docs and it looks pretty straight forward, but I like to have all my ducks in a row before presenting the solution to a client.

Just to be clear I have found some of the answers in the Cisco docs, but due to the constant changing of code and CCA, I wanted to know what features and/or functionality is now supported.

Thanks,

Bob James

5 Replies 5

John Platts
Level 4
Level 4

You only need one CallConnector server in a multisite deployment, even when you have multiple UC500 units. You will need to use CLI to configure the site-to-site VPN as you have to connect the voice and CUE subnets in addition to the data subnets. In addition, you must have unique voice and CUE subnets on your UC500 units.

Thanks John.

I was hoping Cisco would jump in here as well. After more reading it looks like I can acheive what I need, but it still spawns more questions.

Say site A and site B have the VPN setup via the WAN interface over a regular internet connection. Can I have site B only go to site A then out through the Internet connection that they just came over (VPN Hairpin)?

I assume I can force the site B to only go out to the internet via site A using ACL's to put all traffic over the tunnel and deny ip any any for everything else' correct?

At site A I have an internet connection with a VPN tunnel to site B, can I also have client SSL VPN coming in this interface and/or anyconnect/IPSEC VPN clients?

I'm also curious about the answer to the dial pattern questions

Thanks in advance,

Bob James

ronlewis
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

1. Using the Tail end hop off, if both locations are in the same area code (yet long distance) would the dialing pattern have to inject and "outside line digit" for the calls to go out the other site? Eg. I want to call site B and make a local call in the area, I dial 8-2 for the intersite and selector, but then do I have to add a 9 for an outside line at site B's location; 8-1-9-444-555-1212? Or how is this done with the same area code at site A and B?

Cisco - UC500, or CME on ISR, does not have calling search spaces like CM, so configuring dial plan for hop on/off with different sites is limited. You can use CLI dial-peers to remove and add digits for the site to site dialing. The tech setting it up has to know dial-peer cli well to be sucessful, otherwise, having outbound calls from each UC500 for hop on/off is not recommended. SBSC Support is limited for CLI dial-peers outside of CCA configuration. CCA can setup site to site dialing, but not hop on/off dialing rules.

2. The client is asking about workers that travel between sites a lot; how are their calls handled, can they use IP communicator or something else to have the phones follow them?

Cisco - IP Communicator can be used for remote/traveling employee's...UC500 supports direct VPN for these softphone users.

SNR can also be used by each user to have calls to thier IP Phone ring their cell phone when traveling.

4. Can I use UCC Server and clients and have them communicate with two sites? Eg. Have the server at the main site checking presence, IM, etc. at both sites. or how could I achieve this?

CIsco - Single UCC server will support up to 5 sites, 250 users. As long as VPN between the sites and all DN's are unique, no issues in this deploymont model for UCC.

Ron Lewis

Cisco

Thanks Ron, I need to pursue this more and I am proposing a multi-site to a client now.

So you say the capabilities are limited; how is the dial paln configured in CCA for calling then? Is the intent to have TEHO only at one end? If so does this mean the UC500's can support some type of SRST if the VPN goes down?

Or, is it preference that is used to determine outside line usage?

Can you point me to a more detailed datasheet or white paper on the limited capabilities as I am not going to propose a solution that does not meet their needs, or is not supported.

Thanks in advance,

PS, I would also like to hear from other people who have actually deployed multisite to get the pros and cons.

Bob James

Has there been any other discussions about these scenarios?  I'm looking to do something similar with multisite.  I have a customer which has different resaurants (some local some long distance), but key here is that the main site will be managing phones calls for all restaurants.  So, the opperator would like to be able to make a call and 'appear' as if they were calling from other sites by the press of a button.  They have standard phone lines, so if main site presses button "site C" then that would have to be some sort of dial-peer or translation to 'site C' and then 'site C' would need to send the call out its own FXO.

Anyone have any recommendations on this?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: