Cisco Desktop Administrator - "Could not connect to Directory Services synchronize Server"

Answered Question

Hi all,

I am getting an error "Could not connect to Directory Services Synchronize Server" when try to synchrize directory services from Cisco Desktop Administrator and agents are reporting the following issues.

- Agents sporactically get kicked out of CAD but able to logg back in

- some agents getting a licensing error when try to login but were able to logg in after a couple tries

- supervisors aren't able to monitor voice calls, getting error message "Supervisor has failed to start voice monitor on the device :32806"

I suspect the CAD issues I am experiencing could be related to the Directory Services error. I am running IPCC enterprise 6.0 with CAD 6.0, IPIVR 3.5.4 and CCM 4.1.3. Has anyone run into these issues with Directory Services ? Does anyone has any document on how to re-synch the Directory Services ? I appreciate any inputs / suggestions !!! and Thanks in advance !!!

P.S. I've rebooted all servers but that didn't seem to help, the issues just started a few days ago.

Danny

I have this problem too.
0 votes

Ah, the question about UCCE domains.

I prefer to have a dedicated domain for UCCE. I have never had any trouble (other than political ones) with this arrangement. I have had trouble with using the corporate domain - admittedly, problems that could be resolved (one required a Cisco mod that is now in the product). But I don't know of any advantages. Others may have different opinions.

The UCCE domain is used just by the servers, but this does not prevent customers who have "ownership" issues (the AD group within the IT department wants to own all domains and apply their policies) - they hear the word "Windows Domain" and just go nuts. They don't take the time to understand what a unique use of the Domain ICM makes. Sometimes you cannot win the battle, and simply have to make ICM part of the corporate domain.

But if you don't have to, please stay with the dedicated domain. Especially in your case as you will be migrating your UCCE domain from Windows 2000 to Windows 2003. There is a lot in the upgrade you are now doing - don't take on any more.

Just my opinion.

As far as monitoring goes ... in the new version you may get a chance to change to CCM silent monitoring (if your Call Manager and phones - need the built in bridge - support it). A big improvement.

I can't really help with your problem though. Are both VoIP Monitoring Services automatic and running on both PGA and PGB?

Regards,

Geoff

Overall Rating: 5 (1 ratings)
ktang Wed, 03/03/2010 - 07:24

I think it's hard to try and diagnose a problem like this from a  distance but...

• The directory services sync server message  and agents being kicked out suggest network or connectivity issues.
  • In  the past I have seen that if you there is little headroom in your  licensing you might find that after the agents are kicked out the  licenses will take a little while to unlock which will cause delays in  agents logining in.
  • I've seen early CAD versions struggle when large numbers of agents login at the same time. The agent clicks login but has to wait for a fair while untill the desktop logs in.

I suggest you try and tackle the cause of agents being booted out first focusing first on the PGs and ensuring they are stable.

Regards

I can remember those sorts of issues with that old software.

You are quite a long way back now, and a lot of water has flowed under the Cisco bridge since those days. I hardly ever see this problem anymore, and I am on 7.2(7) at this particular customer, a very heavy CAD user.

UCCE 7.5 is probably even more robust, since it's the train getting all the SRs. There hasn't been one for 7.2 for 14 months and there are 100 ES on that train. Sorry, I digress.

Cisco and Calabrio have put a lot of effort into CAD over the years - can you consider upgrading your system?

Regards,

Geoff

Hi Geoff and thank you for responding to my post !!! I very much appreciate your help !!!

The CAD issue has actually been fixed. It was software bug related, take a look at the link below.

http://tools.cisco.com/Support/BugToolKit/search/getBugDetails.do?method=fetchBugDetails&bugId=CSCsf04703

I am working with a partner on upgrading as we speak. I'll be on to the latest 7.5.x release hopefully by end of this month. I have a couple questions for you, hoping you can help clearify.

Currently my UCCE environment is in its own AD domain and I am considering merging it to my existing enterprise AD as part of the upgrade. I am trying to weight out the risk vs the benefits involve. Can I get your inputs on this ? My existing UCCE environment on Window 2k and my enterprise Windows environment is on Windows 2003.

My other question is. When my back up CAD server is active I lost the ability to monitor live calls from the supervisor desktop. Any ideas Why ? does the PG on sideB have to be active as well for this feature to work ?

Thanks again Geoff !!! I very much appreciate your time !!!

D.

Correct Answer

Ah, the question about UCCE domains.

I prefer to have a dedicated domain for UCCE. I have never had any trouble (other than political ones) with this arrangement. I have had trouble with using the corporate domain - admittedly, problems that could be resolved (one required a Cisco mod that is now in the product). But I don't know of any advantages. Others may have different opinions.

The UCCE domain is used just by the servers, but this does not prevent customers who have "ownership" issues (the AD group within the IT department wants to own all domains and apply their policies) - they hear the word "Windows Domain" and just go nuts. They don't take the time to understand what a unique use of the Domain ICM makes. Sometimes you cannot win the battle, and simply have to make ICM part of the corporate domain.

But if you don't have to, please stay with the dedicated domain. Especially in your case as you will be migrating your UCCE domain from Windows 2000 to Windows 2003. There is a lot in the upgrade you are now doing - don't take on any more.

Just my opinion.

As far as monitoring goes ... in the new version you may get a chance to change to CCM silent monitoring (if your Call Manager and phones - need the built in bridge - support it). A big improvement.

I can't really help with your problem though. Are both VoIP Monitoring Services automatic and running on both PGA and PGB?

Regards,

Geoff

Thanks Geoff !!! I appreciate your inputs very much !!!

I actually have Windows AD co-residence on the Roggers today in my existing environment but the partner that I am working with on the upgrade said that is not supported and suggested that I should separate AD to a separate server. And I agree with your response regarding Windows AD for ICM. I wasn't sure how other people are doing out there regarding Windows AD for ICM and really trying to figure out to see if there is any benefits in integrating with corporate AD.

As with the CAD failover issue, the agent monitor function never work for me when the back up CAD server is active. My primary CAD/CTIOS is actually on a dedicated server and the back CAD/CTIOS is co-residence on PG1b. And yes VoIP monitoring services are running on both primary and back up CAD servers. I was wondering if PG1b has to be active as well for that feature to work.

Thanks again Geoff !!!

D.

Actions

This Discussion