cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Support of Jumbo frames on ASA 5500 Firewall Appliance?

ldorjee1
Level 1
Level 1

Can any ASA 5500 in particular the ASA5510 firewall support jumbo frames (i.e. greater than the default standard 1500 Bytes frames)?. I plan to use the ASAs to setup a point-to-point IPSec tunnel and need an Application frame of 4Kbytes intact and not segment it.

I have done little checking on the Cisco Website and see it mention of Jumbo frames on the 5580 on 10Gig interface but didn't see mention 5510. 5580s are way over-kill and expensive for what I need is to run a mission critical one IPSec point-to-point with maximum of no more than 100Kbps so 5510 is perfect for me but not sure if it can carry the jumbo frame?

On the routers and switches it's the MTU settings and they are configurable per interface and I am OK and the circuit is T1 which the Telcos said it's OK since it's physical layer so the only unkown is the firewall.

Thanks, Lobsang

p.s. It's my first time using this forum and looking foreward to some good feedback.

2 Replies 2

Kureli Sankar
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I believe so...

ASA(config)# mtu inside ?

configure mode commands/options:
  <64-65535>  MTU bytes

-KS

Jay Johnston
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Yes, please see this doc:

ASA: Receiving and Transmitting Jumbo Ethernet Frames

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6120/products_tech_note09186a0080bd7524.shtml

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card