This discussion is locked

Cisco Cafe - now open for business

Unanswered Question
Feb 24th, 2010
User Badges:
  • Super Gold, 25000 points or more
  • Hall of Fame,

The Hall of Fame designation is a lifetime achievement award based on significant overall achievements in the community. 

• Cisco Designated VIP,

2017 LAN, Wireless

Right-o.  Here are the Club rules:

1.  Welcome mat is outside the door and it reads, "Leave your pride outside".
2.  No work-related stuffs here.  Whinging is acceptable.
3.  No religious topic/debate.
4.  No political topic/debate.
5.  No harassing and definitely no "below-da-belt" stuff.
6.  Jokes are welcome.  Just be sensible and have a good sense of humour.
7.  English language (`nuff said!) or provide translations.
8.  Aussie slangs and jargons exempted.  He he he ...
9.  Invites to your birthday party very much welcome, and a big thank you!
10.  Remember the explitive-filter-engine.  You've been warned.
11.  Giving points is optional ... it’s all up to you. 
12.  HAVE FUN!

Message was edited by: leolaohoo

Overall Rating: 5 (189 ratings)
marikakis Mon, 03/01/2010 - 07:34
User Badges:
  • Gold, 750 points or more

Hallo, mein Name ist Maria und ich komme aus Griechenland. Wie heissen Sie? Woher kommen Sie? Wie geht es Ihnen? Don't worry, my german knowledge pretty much ends here! Mein Netzwerk ist konfiguriert! Please do not complain or I will respond in greek! Greek is greek to you, isn't it?

Leo, I see you are taking the situation in your hands before Dan has a chance to consider putting an additional section. So, what is this thread about? The rules of the Club? (I thought the first rule of Fight Club would be that "we do not talk about Fight Club", and so would be the second and the third! And then I woke up and realized Brad Pitt is not a regular of this forum! )  Or we can surely drop something else for discussion here and I'm missing the whole point?

Kevin Dorrell Mon, 03/01/2010 - 12:07
User Badges:
  • Green, 3000 points or more

... and can we rate people's contributions to the café culture?  'Cos I think Maria's contribution there must be worth at least a 5, maybe more!

K.

Leo Laohoo Mon, 03/01/2010 - 14:21
User Badges:
  • Hall of Fame,

The Hall of Fame designation is a lifetime achievement award based on significant overall achievements in the community. 

• Cisco Designated VIP,

2017 LAN, Wireless

Awwww come on, Marie.  Y'know I flunked my German language course!    But that doesn't stop me from learning a few expletive lines in German.  Ha ha ha ...

marikakis Mon, 03/01/2010 - 16:31
User Badges:

So, a forum regular doesn't know how to edit their original post? How come? You use the Edit Thread option within the Actions box on the top right of your thread.

I have postponed my german classes for later this year. In language classes you typically can't learn spicy stuff anyway. The book is on the table, the sun is shining, and all is very poetic.

Politics and religion ? Haven't you seen comments on youtube? People are flaming each other because of songs, whether a video is real, etc. If one wants to fight, nothing stops them. But why fight here when you can go straight to youtube? (BTW: if you go to youtube, you might like to watch the "modern man" with George Carlin)

Hey Mike, that was an interesting  book shelves organization!

Leo Laohoo Mon, 03/01/2010 - 16:49
User Badges:
  • Hall of Fame,

• Cisco Designated VIP,

2017 LAN, Wireless

I can't edit the club rules. 

Daniel Bruhn Mon, 03/01/2010 - 19:20
User Badges:
  • Blue, 1500 points or more

Leo,

I'm not sure why you can't edit the club rules.  You should be able to edit any thread you create.  I'll look into it.  In any case, you're in luck because I can edit any thread   Shoot me an email with what you'd like the updated text to say and I'll change it for you.

Cheers,

Dan

Leo Laohoo Mon, 03/01/2010 - 19:32
User Badges:
  • Hall of Fame,

• Cisco Designated VIP,

2017 LAN, Wireless

Ok.  Email on it's way and a big Thank You! 

Kevin Dorrell Mon, 03/01/2010 - 12:38
User Badges:
  • Green, 3000 points or more

Leo,

I think #6 and #8 are related.  I don't know any expletive-filter that can decode Aussie slang, so I guess it is exempted.  Come to think about it, I've only ever seen the expletive-filter used once in this forum, and that was on a typo!

As for #2, I'm afraid some work-related stuff is inevitable.  After all, we are all here because of a shared interest.  The main bulk of the techie stuff would still be in the main part of the forum of course.  I think the café stuff would be more like "... you'll never guess what one of the users did today .. " or "why not to balance a 2960 on its front panel while you are setting up its initial config".  (Clue: what happens when you reload it?) (See #1)

K.

Leo Laohoo Mon, 03/01/2010 - 13:14
User Badges:
  • Hall of Fame,

• Cisco Designated VIP,

2017 LAN, Wireless

Hi Kevin,

I have no question about rating someone's post or comment.  Go ahead, mate, make our day!

Regarding work-related stuffs, it's fine by me.  I know it'll come to this.  Hey, I don't mind if it's just for laughs or something!

Hi Maria,

Before I created the thread, I sent an email to Dan (did I include Tim too???) and asked them to consider if the thread is appropriate or not.  If it ain't, then I don't mind getting it torn down at all.  All in the spirit of humour, camraderie and plain-ole-fun-and-laughs (kicks-n-giggles).

Daniel Bruhn Mon, 03/01/2010 - 14:10
User Badges:

Hi Leo,

I did get your email and decided to let it ride and see what kind of activity the post got.  In the past we've contemplated opening a "water cooler" community.  It would be a place for pretty much anything outside the scope of our current forums and isn't technical.  I'm still open to creating this if there is enough support for it.  Of course, we would have to reserve the right to pull any content we deem inappropriate.  I've seen water cooler communities get out of hand with topics like politics

Cheers,

Dan

Leo Laohoo Mon, 03/01/2010 - 14:19
User Badges:
  • Hall of Fame,

• Cisco Designated VIP,

2017 LAN, Wireless

Hi Dan,

Thanks for letting this ride.  I'm worried about things getting out of hand but I have a feeling that since we're all professionals here we tend to control stuffs we post here.  This is why the club rules tend to be more relaxed.

Good point.  I should've added "no politics and/or religion" in the club rules.  How do I go about editing this?

marikakis Mon, 03/01/2010 - 13:42
User Badges:

Kevin, if I recall correctly your kids speak 3 languages, right? I shouldn't have played the language card with you around! A French couple comes for a vacation in Greece together with their 5-year old kid. Two old men in a non-online cafe hear the kid speaking french and the one says to the other: Did you see how fluently that kid speaks french?

About the rating of posts: I'm busy writing an official document with no jokes or simple words like "ok", "things", "stuff" or "hope", etc ("expect" is acceptable ) and tired of policing myself all the time, so I'm being selfish and my contribution to the technical sections has deteriorated lately.  You can do whatever you like of course, but I would prefer to not receive points in here or my guilt levels will increase since other people are posting many useful things often without any recognition.

BTW: why would you ever balance a 2960 on its front panel?

burleyman Mon, 03/01/2010 - 13:50
User Badges:

I balance my 2960's on the front panel because they fit better in the book shelves for my CCNP studies....

Mike

George Stefanick Mon, 03/01/2010 - 20:21
User Badges:
  • Purple, 4500 points or more
  • Community Spotlight Award,

Best Publication, October 2015

I love the "Cafe El Leo!"

2.  No work-related stuffs here.  Whinging is acceptable.<---- Sweeet!

Leo Laohoo Mon, 03/01/2010 - 20:32
User Badges:
  • Hall of Fame,

• Cisco Designated VIP,

2017 LAN, Wireless

I'm waiting for someone to comment on #9.  He he he ...

burleyman Tue, 03/02/2010 - 05:19
User Badges:

One day I came to the Cisco fourum
with a quandry that was sure to floor'em

but with Jon, Rob, Kevin, Dan, Leo and of course Maria
my questions were answered and I was overcome with glee-a   (glee-a is Italian...right?)

Then I came across the Cisco Cafe
At first I thought how risque

But then as I read the fine words of wisdom
I though to my self what a great way to help with boredom

So I carefully crafted a not so great poem
So it would nice if no one spewed too much venom

Let's keep it nice and have some fun
since this has only just begun

Let's keep religion and politics to other places
and let those fourums clean up those messes

So lets have some fun and not get too mean
after all we did that when we were sixteen

As for rule number nine I though the would put this fourth
My birthday is May 24th so you can all send gifts henceforth

So in closing I leave with with this final statement
Let's keep the talk out of the basement.

Mike

Leo Laohoo Tue, 03/02/2010 - 13:27
User Badges:
  • Hall of Fame,

• Cisco Designated VIP,

2017 LAN, Wireless

Crikey mate!

Mike, your poetry deserves some credits here.  (+5) 

burleyman Wed, 03/03/2010 - 05:26
User Badges:

Why thank you Leo glad you enjoyed and of course thanks for the high 5... 

Rob Huffman Wed, 03/03/2010 - 06:15
User Badges:
  • Super Blue, 32500 points or more
  • Hall of Fame,

Founding Member

• Cisco Designated VIP,

2017 IP Telephony, Unified Communications

Hey Leo,

Thanks for posting this up my friend

+5 for your good work and always humorous attitude, it's

refreshing to say the least!!

Mike +5 for the awesome poetry as well! It's not something

I ever thought I'd see on NetPro. I also love the irony of "Burleyman"

penning the first NetPro Poem. Rockin' for sure.

Cheers!

Huff

burleyman Wed, 03/03/2010 - 06:39
User Badges:

Thanks Rob... Yeah Burleyman has always been my nickname...I have had the Grizzly Adams look in the past...Long hair, beard, 6ft, 220.....now short hair, beard, 6ft...have not started to shrink yet...250....ok so I am expanding......so I guess the the Burleyman stuck.

Glad you enjoyed the little poem and that it put a smile on your face. Also I would like to say thank you to you for all your posts and help throughout the years. You have helped me with problem resolution and also I have learned a lot reading your posts. Please keep up the great work.

Mike "Burleyman" Burley

Rob Huffman Fri, 03/05/2010 - 06:04
User Badges:
  • Hall of Fame,

Founding Member

• Cisco Designated VIP,

Hey Mike,

Too funny my friend! I used to wear size 30 jeans as well...hahaha! If

I've ever helped you over the years, it's truly my pleasure

Don't forget it goes both ways here and I've received many great tips

and some good laughs from you as well.

Cheers!

Huff

Rob Huffman Fri, 03/05/2010 - 06:18
User Badges:
  • Hall of Fame,

Founding Member

• Cisco Designated VIP,

Hey folks,

I thought I might take a moment to continue on with Kevin's good

start on Rule #1 (leave your pride outside) +5 Kevin for this great

look at how we are all fallible here

My "what not to do" for this week (one of many);

I was working on a major problem with our Unity Connection

publisher server. After spending many long nights with Cisco

TAC (Thanks Jing - Sydney TAC) They finally published an ES

for our issue.

I'm working in the lab trying to load the new ES version on our

Lab/Publisher. Download the ES - burn DVD - load on box - Test.

Should be a pretty straight forward process so here I go.....

Download the ES - burn DVD - load on box - "no valid upgrade file found"

hmmmmmmmmmmm......burn new DVD using a different product should be good

to go -  load on box - "no valid upgrade file found" .....starting to lose it!! OK ...

go to pop DVD out of Publisher MCS box and look at the label on the server

realize that I've been trying to upgrade the UC box but inserting the DVD in the

Communications manager Lab/Publisher .......probably won't work

Cheers! More next week!

Huff

marikakis Wed, 03/24/2010 - 07:06
User Badges:

Hi Rob,

If I truly leave my pride outside, I will have to admit I still don't get what you were doing wrong! So, what happened this week?

A year or so ago I decided to buy a small laptop. I am not a gudget person (really), but I needed it.  You know how it is, one thing led to another and I find myself in my cousin's store trying to buy some related accessories, and we soon come to the mouse. I can choose among 3: a pink, a red and a microsoft bluetooth (note that the most important technical characteristics of each mouse are listed). I want the pink by default, but laptop is red (only because vendor doesn't have pink), so I'm thinking red. In the end, I play it serious and buy the bluetooth. Cousin tests it and we are ok, so I take it home. Now, when I try to use it, something strange happens: I move the mouse to the right, cursor goes to the left. At the beginning I don't realize the pattern. It just feels strange. I'm thinking that cousin is left-handed, so maybe he did something to my settings, but settings look ok. I start thinking maybe there is a bug. I go to microsoft mouse site to look for known issues, and all of a sudden I see the picture of the mouse. Some metal on the mouse surface seems to be upside down in the picture. Or am I holding the mouse upside down???  Well, at least I haven't tried to upgrade drivers or anything. People asked how was it possible for me to hold it the wrong way and still be able to click. My excuse was that my hands are big and many mouses feel uncomfortable anyway   And why don't those wireless mouses have a wire to show to people like me the correct direction of usage? (In case you are wondering, I went back to the store and bought the pink mouse as well.)

And after all this humiliation, I'll try to impress you a little bit. I presented my master's thesis something like 5-6 hours ago. I am now a master of disaster or master of puppets (tribute to my heavy metal lost youth)! You know what I can do now? I can SLEEP!!!

Kind Regards,
Maria

burleyman Wed, 03/24/2010 - 09:43
User Badges:

Huge Contrats on your Master's!!! Good job.

Loved the mouse story....could you now be Master of Mouse Manipulation 

It must be IT Brain Burp week. Here is what I did. I was getting nine new HP servers ready for deployment. I got them all racked up and wired and ready to go. Then I was connecting up the power cords and as I connected them the fans started buzzing away no problem, even without having to go all the way around to the front and press the power button....cool except two servers did not come on auto-magically. I should also mention that two days before all the servers fired up with no problem. So I did my due diligent troubleshooting. I connected two other power cords from the other servers.....still nothing. I connected the power cords from the one that did not work and connected up two other servers and away the fans went but still nothing on those two pesky servers. I then swapped the power supplies and no luck but the other servers worked flawlessly. So based on my great troubleshooting I found out it was not the power cords, was not the power supplies, and was not the power whip I was using, so I concluded it was the servers system board. Call was placed to HP and I told them all my fantastic troubleshooting and they were truly impressed, well may not but they should have been . They were sending parts and a tech. When I got off the Phone I walked around the front and there it was the problem was starring me right in the face, no I was not in front of a mirror...but I probably should have been. You see the problem was............ I needed to hit the power button on those two...

So I swallowed my pride and call HP back to not send the tech or parts and that I found the problem....... I let them know that a wire on the system board came loose and that caused the problem     It was better than feeling stupid all over again, and in my defence...I did not have to hit the power button on the other 7 servers....darn HP.

Mike

Leo Laohoo Wed, 03/24/2010 - 18:23
User Badges:
  • Hall of Fame,

• Cisco Designated VIP,

2017 LAN, Wireless

Congrats Mari!

How do we address you now?  Master?  Your Royal Highness?

He he he ...

marikakis Wed, 03/24/2010 - 18:54
User Badges:

Well Leo, that's a good question and thanks for bringing this issue to my attention. You should avoid addressing me directly from now on! You could say something like "how is Maria today?" but not "how are YOU today?" And whenever I suggest you did something, you should not respond with anything other than "yes, master"!

burleyman Thu, 03/25/2010 - 04:51
User Badges:

Maria,

I thought you would prefer the full title... "How is Master of Mouse Manipulation Maria today?" When you demand...I mean suggest we should respond with "yes, Master Mouse Manipulator."

Mike

A poem called the "Master Mouse Manipulator"

There once was a Cisco queen named Maria.

Who got herself a Masters Degree-a.

She went out to celebrate this joyous occasion.

Shopping is what she did because she is just that brazen.

Went back to her house with a brand new mouse.

But before she got home she must have stopped at an Alehouse.

For when when she used her new found toy.

She was most certainly not celebrating with joy.

You see the mouse was not working no matter how many time she slid it up and down

Because you see she had it up side down.

Rob Huffman Wed, 03/24/2010 - 12:44
User Badges:
  • Hall of Fame,

Founding Member

• Cisco Designated VIP,

Hi Maria/Mike,

I loved both of your stories I was thinking that I'm the only one

out here doing any crazy stunts! +5 to both of you for sharing your latest

Faux pas!! No pride here.

Maria....HUGE Congrats on your most recent achievement! WOW. Great

work my friend, now get some rest.

The moral of last weeks "leave your pride at the door" story, when doing any

type of upgrade make sure the media has been inserted into the proper servers'

DVD tray

This weeks story is not IT related (well it is Nerdy!) but...

I had just walked into the main reception area of one of the departments here on campus

and I was chatting with the nice lady at the main desk. She is sitting at a really nice large

wooden "millwork" counter answering phones etc. So I'm playing it pretty cooool and I spot a

large jug of "hand sanitizer", since the H1N1 threat there is "hand sanitizer" everywhere you

go. As I'm talking with her I decide that b4 going in to my meeting I'll grab a little hand wash

so I proceed to push down on the top of the "hand sanitizer" jug, well instead of getting a little

cleanser on my hands it shoots right over my hands and all over the counter top. Pretty "smooth

move" I'm thinking as I ask for paper towel or anything available to wipe up She's probably still laughing!

Cheers!

Huff

marikakis Wed, 03/24/2010 - 17:16
User Badges:

Hey Rob, looks like your smooth moves sanitize the entire area around you. This virus will sure have a hard time getting anywhere near you!

Leo Laohoo Wed, 03/24/2010 - 15:13
User Badges:
  • Hall of Fame,

• Cisco Designated VIP,

2017 LAN, Wireless

Back in 2006, a lady walked up to our team and asked to borrow a switch because she was doing something to group of servers in a store-room.  She said doesn't need our help to set it up because she knows her way around the switch.  Okey, dokey.  One 2924XL signed out.  A few days later she came and said that the switch was defective and wanted to have it swapped out.  Confused, I went over there and see what happened.

All 25 ports were connected to all the servers.  25????  The switch I gave her only had 24 ports ... unless.

Yup, you guessed it.  She plugged one of the "important" servers to the Console port.

At least it wasn't a network fault.

(Unfortunately, she was a blondie.)

Yo Mike!  You're birthday's almost coming up.  When are we suppose to expect the invites???

burleyman Thu, 03/25/2010 - 06:48
User Badges:

Leo,

Loved the pic.......hey is that Maria's new mouse.  If the PC won't work try the power button it works wonders, it did for me.

For the Birthday invites...I though I would just wait to see who sent a gift.... and I figured we would just meet at the Cisco Cafe after all it is a great place to hang out. Please bring some extra hand sanitizer though some of us use a lot 

Mike

marikakis Thu, 03/25/2010 - 12:57
User Badges:

Ok, I am having a hard time following the replies in this thread. I kind of almost missed a post from Mike yesterday. Anyway, I'm facing more serious issues right now. I told you the mouse story and undermined my own authority! Now everybody is making fun of me.

Hey Mike, I see my mouse has become your muse! Happy birthday and I'm sending you a pink mouse for a present.

Hey Rob, just for the record: I am not sure I used the correct words to describe my mouse situation, but the mouse on Leo's picture is the next stage in my road to humiliation. I am not quite there yet! The "only" thing I did is to hold the mouse with the buttons being in the opposite direction than the correct one. Now that I'm thinking about it, I must have been clicking using my thumb!!!

A more recent story is with the development board I was using for my master. The board was connected to my pc using a usb port for programming the board and the serial port for getting output and printing it on my screen. I had been working with 2 processors on the board for some time, because the hardware guys were having issues fitting 4 processors in their FPGA. One day they make it and send me a new file with 4 processors. I turn the power on the board on (yeah Mike, I didn't miss that!), I download their file and my code, but no output on my screen. I'm thinking that maybe their hardware doesn't work (as usual ), but prefer to check my side first (not to avoid humiliation, but for practical reasons: if I bother them and proves to be my mistake, I won't get immediate attention next time I need it). The usual software reason I am not getting output is some read memory access from one processor to another processor's memory not supported yet, which can cause a "freeze". I check my code and nothing like that is happening. I make some changes so that the extra 2 processors do nothing. Still no output. I go back to the last known good hardware/software code. Still no output. I take a look at the board. Who the @!%#$%^^ took my serial cable?

Leo Laohoo Sun, 03/28/2010 - 18:57
User Badges:
  • Hall of Fame,

• Cisco Designated VIP,

2017 LAN, Wireless

burleyman wrote:

Loved the pic.......hey is that Maria's new mouse.

Mike,

Nah, mate.  What you're looking at is the first (and only) attempt to cool down an overclocked PC.

+5 on your poetry "swipe" at Maria.

marikakis Mon, 03/29/2010 - 07:27
User Badges:

Hey Leo, congratulations on your new red badge! Now is the time for you to get your own poem from Mike! I'm waiting!

Jon Marshall Mon, 03/29/2010 - 09:02
User Badges:
  • Hall of Fame,

Founding Member

• Cisco Designated VIP,

2017 LAN, WAN

Just catching up on this thread -

Maria, congratulations on the Masters, very impressive achievement especially considering your inability to use a mouse

Leo - shiny new red badge, about time too.

Jon

Leo Laohoo Mon, 03/29/2010 - 14:26
User Badges:
  • Hall of Fame,

• Cisco Designated VIP,

2017 LAN, Wireless

Thanks Jon.  All thanks to the lucky bloke who gave me +2.  Ouch!  I must've said something to annoy `em.  

Leo Laohoo Wed, 03/24/2010 - 18:26
User Badges:
  • Hall of Fame,

• Cisco Designated VIP,

2017 LAN, Wireless

Hail, hail, hail.

I now name thee SMOOTH Rob.  Go and sanitize no more ...

marikakis Wed, 03/24/2010 - 17:06
User Badges:

Leo, still don't get what YOU did wrong! Or do you mean you were wrong to let her go away alone with the switch in the first place?

Leo Laohoo Wed, 03/24/2010 - 19:12
User Badges:
  • Hall of Fame,

• Cisco Designated VIP,

2017 LAN, Wireless

Hi Maria,

That was a mistake on my part.  I thought dum blondes (left the "b" out as to not offend) was an urban legend.  She proved me sooooooo wrong.

Leo Laohoo Wed, 03/24/2010 - 18:29
User Badges:
  • Hall of Fame,

• Cisco Designated VIP,

2017 LAN, Wireless

Anyone know why this computer needs to be constantly replaced? 

Attachment: 
Daniel Bruhn Wed, 03/24/2010 - 18:58
User Badges:

Leo,

Kudos to you.  Off topic is what you wanted and off topic is definitely what you got!

Cheers,

Dan

Leo Laohoo Wed, 03/24/2010 - 19:17
User Badges:
  • Hall of Fame,

• Cisco Designated VIP,

2017 LAN, Wireless

Hello Dan,

This wouldn't be possible without you and Tim's "nod".  So I or we would like to say "thank you" for the support. 

Best Regards/Leo

Leo Laohoo Wed, 03/24/2010 - 18:44
User Badges:
  • Hall of Fame,

• Cisco Designated VIP,

2017 LAN, Wireless

There's a big retail chain where I live.  In the midst of the row of check-out counters is the supervisor's desk.  This is very open and just about anyone can peer in.  Anyway, among the things you'll find is a list of First Aid officers (sounds ok so far).  I accidently read the list and broke into uncontrolled laughter.  At the bottom of the list has the last name DEATH and first name RAY.

1.  Death treated my injuries;
2.  First aid officer Death, first aid officer Death, can you come to counter one for a possible incident?  (I don't know `bout you but I'd be flying outta there like a bat out of h_e_l_l.);
3.  Death ray.  (Hmmmmmm ...); and
4.  I stared death in the eye ...

Rob Huffman Thu, 03/25/2010 - 06:16
User Badges:
  • Hall of Fame,

Founding Member

• Cisco Designated VIP,

Hey Leo,

Yes, thanks for starting the "Cafe" it's really great fun buddy

Loved the photo - tooooooo funny! +5 for making my day!

Have you asked how Master Maria is today? I am reluctant to address her

directly

Cheers!

"Smooth" Rob

PS:+5 for you too Mike, for more great poetry! Sweeeet!

burleyman Thu, 03/25/2010 - 13:13
User Badges:

Maria,

I am sorry but for some unknown reason when I read that I actually laughed out loud, it might have been because of the power oversight I had literally just had made before I read your post. Sorry for going on about it I just got hung on it and when I saw the upside down mouse in Leo's pic it was just too much to bear. 

Getting your Master's is a great acomplishment and I do applude you. It is one of the few regrets in life that I have, not getting a college degree.

Sorry for confusing the post order....I am just going to the end from now on.

Mike

marikakis Thu, 03/25/2010 - 14:17
User Badges:

Hi Mike,

Don't apologize. I like it when people are making fun of me in such a friendly manner. The tears are fake!   (And have in mind that I am joking 99,999...% of the time. If you ever sense a perhaps evil tone in my words, then something implicitly or explicitly rude that I can't ignore must have been said previously). Did I tell you the "gym story"? I went to a gym because I had issues with my back due to improper posture in front of the computer. A member of the staff is showing me around. At some point I am finished with an exercise and must go to the next, but can't find the staff member. I look at the paper they gave me and locate the next equipment. I'm thinking "come on, how hard can it be?". I sit and try to do the exercise. Not many kilos there, but can't lift them. I gradually reduce the weight to the smallest possible. Still can't make it. A member of the gym approaches me and tells me "you are sitting in the opposite direction"!  So, it seems I repeat the same mistake in various contexts

In my country people are not generally paid a lot of money (10-15 thousand euros is typical yearly income, while cost of living is rather high). Getting a degree is easier than in other countries, because parents usually support their children financially and most schools are free. There are many people with degrees and post graduate studies having a hard time getting a job. In any case, whatever you choose to do in life, chances are you might wonder what would have happened if you had done something else. I don't get proud very easily, which is bad sometimes. Most of my current joy is due to the fact that the master-era is over. I kind of regretted doing it. At some point I interrupted my studies and got a job. I went back to get it only because I had done most of the work and didn't want to quit like that. I don't like the academic environment very much. A lot of stress and no production system. Also, the people in academia are sometimes too typical, other times snobbish, and usually care more about "great ideas" instead of making things work. One of the main reasons I like these forums is the fact that people here are resolving real issues every day.

Kind Regards,

Maria

Rob Huffman Fri, 03/26/2010 - 05:44
User Badges:
  • Hall of Fame,

Founding Member

• Cisco Designated VIP,

Hey Maria,

Well said my friend +5 for this.

I work in a University here in Canada (MRU) and sometimes the whole

"academia" scene can be so boooooring, that is why the people here just seem so

great! No pretenses, we can laugh at ourselves and no hurt feelings. It's just

the way life should be. You should be extremely proud of your accomplishments

these can never be taken away from you! Too cool!

Your discomfort from your "Mouse" story will pale in comparison to my story

for next week It's one of the craziest things I have ever done at work. I'm still

laughing at this one!

Cheers!

Huff

burleyman Fri, 03/26/2010 - 06:53
User Badges:

Thanks Maria..... I was just looking at my posts and thought....wow I may have been going too far and too long...and wanted to make sure I did not offend. Thing is I can make fun at myself with the best of them and I some times forget not all people can handle some ribbing over and over.

Too funny about the gym. I am going to start going so I will have to look to make sure I am sitting the right way so I won't have to post that here as well 

Maria and Huff, I do agree with you on the degree thing. I did take some classes about a years worth later in life and actually did very well. The main reason that I wish I had done it right out of high school is that my daughter followed basicly in my footsteps and did just shy of two years of school before getting a very good job. I think maybe if I finished she might have.

Well have to get back to work..... enjoy Friday!

Mike

And 5+ on the posts...thanks

burleyman Fri, 03/26/2010 - 13:04
User Badges:

Maria,

I found out it was not your problem with the Pink mouse....it all had to do with where the Pink mouse was manufactured. I have attached a picture for clarification. So I do apologize for my poking at you.... 

marikakis Fri, 03/26/2010 - 13:51
User Badges:

Hey Mike,

I'm afraid there has been a small misundertanding. There were 3 mouses: one pink (baby pink to be accurate) normal usb, one red also usb, and the third and evil one was this model: http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/mouseandkeyboard/ProductDetails.aspx?pid=099 (mine has the colors reversed, so its a dark, serious tech guy's mouse ). The evil mouse was way more expensive than the other two. In the end I bought the pink as well because the bluetooth didn't work right away with my linux, I was bored to check how to fix the situation (the bluetooth mouse also needs batteries and often loses signal even when I use windows) and I also hate it for obvious reasons!

If you take a close look at the picture you will see that the mouse buttons extend from the top to the bottom, so it's possible to click even if position is reversed. I have no excuse for the scroll wheel though. When I went to the site, and before I realized my mistake, I read the "ergonomic" phrase and thought "yeah, right, ergonomic my you_know_what"!

Kind Regards,

Maria

Actions

This Discussion