cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Adding new 3750 to stack

LucaSalvatore_2
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, we currently have two 3750s in a stack and wish to add a third.

I have made sure that the IOS on the new switch is the same as the existing switches and have  entered this command on the current stack

switch 3 provision ws-c3750g-24ps

So currently there are two stacking cables in use.

Port 1 on switch1 goes to port 2 on switch2 and

Port 2 on switch1 goes to port 1 on switch2

So they are configured in a cross over type setup.

Question1) - Can i unplug one of these cables without affecting the stacks operation?

Question2) - would the best way to hook up the new switch be

Switch1 port 1 -> switch2 port2

Switch1 port2 -> switch3 port1

Switch2 port1 -> switch3 port2

I know that i have to connect the new switch while it is powered off, then power it up once all the stack cables are connected.  I'm just a bit worreid about unplugging one of the current stack cables.

3 Replies 3

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Cables should look like this:

Switch 1: 1, 3 
Switch 2: 2, 1
Switch 3: 3, 2

Same IOS, same feature set rules apply. Just make sure that you pull one of the uplink cables and the rest of the stack should be fine.  Once you've connected one cable to the new switch, you can apply power to this switch.

Well I did this tonight.... Unplugged the cable from Port1 on switch 2, had a look on my console and a saw every Gi2/0/x interface going down, all lights on switch2 went off as well.

Decided to push on, hooked up the new switch, powered it on and the whole stack reboots...

After about 3 or 4 minutes the stack is up and the new switch is ready..... any thoughts on what i lost all of switch 2, then when the new one was connected the stack rebooted?

Ganesh Hariharan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi, we currently have two 3750s in a stack and wish to add a third.

I have made sure that the IOS on the new switch is the same as the existing switches and have  entered this command on the current stack

switch 3 provision ws-c3750g-24ps

So currently there are two stacking cables in use.

Port 1 on switch1 goes to port 2 on switch2 and

Port 2 on switch1 goes to port 1 on switch2

So they are configured in a cross over type setup.

Question1) - Can i unplug one of these cables without affecting the stacks operation?

Question2) - would the best way to hook up the new switch be

Switch1 port 1 -> switch2 port2

Switch1 port2 -> switch3 port1

Switch2 port1 -> switch3 port2

I know that i have to connect the new switch while it is powered off, then power it up once all the stack cables are connected.  I'm just a bit worreid about unplugging one of the current stack cables.

Hi ,

Check out the below link for Creation and Management of Catalyst 3750 Switch Stacks hope that helps out your query !!

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps5023/products_configuration_example09186a00807811ad.shtml#conf

If helpful do rate the post

Ganesh.H

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: