Views
Helpful
Replies

VLANs trunking between two buildings with seperate IP gateway

Eric Boadu
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Guys,

1. I have small to medium VLANs issues in two locations.

2. A fiber trunk link between these two locations.

3. Each location has it own default IP gateway pointing to a PIX firewall.

4. Each site has three Cisco 3750Gs

5. I want both locations to communicate via the fiber link trunk for local access without going out on the firewall to the Internet.

6. What is the best way to make these switches communicates via the fiber link trunk?

7. Should I create a separate layer 3 Inter-VLAN switch and VTP domain for each site and add the rest of the switches as VTP clients?

8. Or should I create one layer 3 Inter-VLAN, one VTP Domain and add the rest of the switches as VTP clients for both locations?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Eric B

3 Replies 3

Hi,

Bit confused about your network.

can you post your current network topology both logical and physical connectivity,this will help us to understand and can give  exact solution .

regards

Karuppu

Ganesh Hariharan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hello Guys,

1. I have small to medium VLANs issues in two locations.

2. A fiber trunk link between these two locations.

3. Each location has it own default IP gateway pointing to a PIX firewall.

4. Each site has three Cisco 3750Gs

5. I want both locations to communicate via the fiber link trunk for local access without going out on the firewall to the Internet.

6. What is the best way to make these switches communicates via the fiber link trunk?

7. Should I create a separate layer 3 Inter-VLAN switch and VTP domain for each site and add the rest of the switches as VTP clients?

8. Or should I create one layer 3 Inter-VLAN, one VTP Domain and add the rest of the switches as VTP clients for both locations?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Eric B

Hi Eric B,

Trunking carries traffic from several VLANs over a point-to-point link       between the two devices.

Check out the below link hope that helps !!

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps708/products_configuration_example09186a00806e1f70.shtml

Ganesh.H

Eric Boadu
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks for your reply and indeed it was a bit confusing. I have gotten more info from my clients and ready to configure layer 3 VLAN and trunk between the two offices.

Thx,

Eric

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card