Views
Helpful
Replies

BRANCH DESIGN

alsayed
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Guys

I Have 4 sites connected to the H.O using MPLS VPN as primary connection now am thinking to add DSL Connection as backup using IPSec VPN..

Questions

1) is it a good solution as redubdancy?

2)what is the steps to accomplish that?

4)am i right in my proposal?

3)What is the difference between MPLS VPN and IPSec VPN

THANKS

3 Replies 3

chris.macleod
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

1) is it a good solution as redundancy?

I think so, I would get one with a service level aggreement and go with a different provider than the one that provides your MPLS VPN.

2)what is the steps to accomplish that?

Depends how you have setup the routing.  Do you use static routes or a routing protocol?

4)am i right in my proposal?

I think it's a good idea.  Should be quite cheap and will allow your business to function while a fault with the main connection is being repaired.

3)What is the difference between MPLS VPN and IPSec VPN

With a MPLS VPN your traffic and routing information is separate from other companies in the MPLS cloud but typically not encrypted.

Thanks

Chris

Hi chris

1)can y share ur experience with project like that in such a way

2)what the ideal bandwidth could be

Thanks

Hi,

1)can y share ur experience with project like that in such a way

I have never been involved in setting this up.

2)what the ideal bandwidth could be

You would really need to find out how much bandwidth you currently use and decide if you want to operate a full service when the main connection fails or a reduced one (due to lower link speed).  You would also need to think about traffic patterns for instance are users at the branch offices uploading or mainly downloading from the HQ.

I use MRTG to monitor bandwidth, there is a windows and linux version.  Once you know how much bandwidth you use you will be able to decide on the DSL package you need for each branch and the HQ.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco