Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CallManager service turns down after DMA

Dears,

I just used DMA to migrate from CallManager 4.3 to CUCM 7.

When i restored the config on the CUCM7, the phones were not registered. I noticed that the callmanager service is down. If i start it, it starts for 30 seconds then go back to its down status.

Can anyone help please and guide me how to find the problem?

Thanks,

Moustafa

9 Replies 9

Adrian Saavedra
Level 7
Level 7

Hi,

You have to upload your licenses.

This will help you:

Q. My customer wants to upgrade from Cisco Unified CallManager 4.0 to Cisco Unified CallManager 5.1 on new hardware (decommission old hardware). What steps do I need to follow to ensure the licensing transfers?
A. Do the following:

1. Perform a Backup and Recovery System (BARS) backup.

2. Run Data Migration Assistant (DMA) export on the existing system.

3. Obtain the new license file using the upgrade process in the Cisco Unified CallManager documentation.

4. After receiving the new license file, send an e-mail to licensing@cisco.com requesting rehost of this license on the new cluster (publisher).

5. Obtain an Extended Markup Language (XML) license file from export and send it to licensing@cisco.com to do a rehost of this license. Also provide the MAC address of the new publisher. The same quantity of device license units and nodes will be returned with the new MAC address.

6. Perform a fresh install of Cisco Unified CallManager 5.1, DMA import, and upload license files received in step 3.

7. If the installation fails, reinstall the basic input/output system (BIOS), reinstall Cisco Unified CallManager, and reinstall BARS restore.

Hope to help.

Best regards,

- Adrián.

Hi Adrian,

thank you for your reply...

Is it mandatory to upload the licenses in order to make it work.

I need to test the whole functionality on CUCM 7 before getting the license. What do you advise?

Your help is really appreciated...

Thanks,

Moustafa

The SW license is MANDATORY if you want to turn on CCM service and register phones.

If you don't have it, you get the behavior you described.

Even if you just want to test, you need ALL the necessary licensing.

HTH

java

If this helps, please rate

www.cisco.com/go/pdihelpdesk

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

Moustafa,

You can't test your system if your CM Service is always down (as you see, the phones will never become registered ). The only way I found to keep CM Service up and working as expected is to upload the license files.

Hope to help, if it does please rate.

Best regards,

-- Adrián.

I got a license for only one phone for testing (not for all phones), i also deleted all other phones except the licensed phone and

it is still not working...

Can anyone help please?

thanks

chabasimon
Level 1
Level 1

Hi There,

If you only want to test the CUCM 7 functionality, without obtaining the licenses, you will have to install CUCM as a clean(new) installation.Do not choose the upgrade from windows option. Then all your services (including Callmanager) will run. Your phones will also register. The drawback is that you will have to reinstall CUCM 7, with an ugrade version when you want to use your DMA export file. That's how I did it.

Thank you chabasimon for your fast reply...
Do i have to configure all phones manually? or What?

How can i test the phones feature without getting the config via DMA ?

Can you explain the following  in details "The drawback is that you will have to reinstall CUCM 7, with an ugrade version when you want to use your DMA export file".

Thanks again

Moustafa

1. Do i have to configure all phones manually? or What?

Yes, It is a clean installation. You have to configure CUCM Server with the basics of what you need to test, i.e Device pool, Partitions,CSS,Route patterns/list/group etc.

2. How can i test the phones feature without getting the config via DMA ?

You don't need DMA to test the phone features. Just configure your server with Auto-registration information and your phones will register.

3. Can you explain the following  in details "The drawback is that you will have to reinstall CUCM 7, with an ugrade version when you want to use your DMA export file".

I was trying to say that once you are done testing, you will have to do a new installation but this time you will have to choose the upgrade from windows option which will need your DMA export file. You will have to follow the normal upgrade procedure which requires the licenses, including the "Feature license" which is the one needed to sort out your callmanager service issue.

Hope this helps.

Well... I thought you have restored the config in another way than using DMA.

My goal is to test the same callManager 4.3 configs on cucm 7 config on a testing CUCM server before buying a new MCS server and getting the licenses. And as i know you cannot upgrade two times from callmanager on two different mcs servers, cisco licensing won't send the licenses the second time. That is why i want to test it and make a presentation before taking the purchasing desicion.

Thanks you...

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: