cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Need to span more than 2 ports on a 6500

baskervi
Level 1
Level 1

We already have a system that is using a SPAN port, and we're about to implement an IDS with 3 sniffing interfaces. Unfortunately, all network devices are plugged into our two 6500's that are running as VSS, and we need a total of 4 SPAN ports. I'd prefer to not add any additional switches, but I'm at a loss for any other ideas. Anyone have thoughts on this?

Thank you.

Allyn

2 Replies 2

Ganesh Hariharan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

We already have a system that is using a SPAN port, and we're about to implement an IDS with 3 sniffing interfaces. Unfortunately, all network devices are plugged into our two 6500's that are running as VSS, and we need a total of 4 SPAN ports. I'd prefer to not add any additional switches, but I'm at a loss for any other ideas. Anyone have thoughts on this?

Thank you.

Allyn

Hi Allyn,

If you want to configure 2 span ports then you can create 2 session in 6500 as there is a limit for 2 session only for local span configuration in 6500,check out the below link for more information and guidelines on span port configuration in 6500.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst6500/ios/12.1E/native/configuration/guide/span.html#wp1032979

Hope to Help

Ganesh.H

If you can't buy new switches, can you buy taps? Much cheaper than switches.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card