cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Need to span more than 2 ports on a 6500

baskervi
Level 1
Level 1

We already have a system that is using a SPAN port, and we're about to implement an IDS with 3 sniffing interfaces. Unfortunately, all network devices are plugged into our two 6500's that are running as VSS, and we need a total of 4 SPAN ports. I'd prefer to not add any additional switches, but I'm at a loss for any other ideas. Anyone have thoughts on this?

Thank you.

Allyn

2 Replies 2

Ganesh Hariharan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

We already have a system that is using a SPAN port, and we're about to implement an IDS with 3 sniffing interfaces. Unfortunately, all network devices are plugged into our two 6500's that are running as VSS, and we need a total of 4 SPAN ports. I'd prefer to not add any additional switches, but I'm at a loss for any other ideas. Anyone have thoughts on this?

Thank you.

Allyn

Hi Allyn,

If you want to configure 2 span ports then you can create 2 session in 6500 as there is a limit for 2 session only for local span configuration in 6500,check out the below link for more information and guidelines on span port configuration in 6500.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst6500/ios/12.1E/native/configuration/guide/span.html#wp1032979

Hope to Help

Ganesh.H

If you can't buy new switches, can you buy taps? Much cheaper than switches.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card